Tele w/humbuckers sound?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by brads, Aug 11, 2006.

1. brads

brads Supporting Member

Acknowledging the differences in scale length, body size and weight, etc., how close to a Les Paul or PRS can a Tele get when equipped with boutique humbuckers?

If different, in what way?

2. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

Jeff Beck's tele-gib is just that

listen to Cause We Ended as Lovers

[​IMG]

3. Doodad

Doodad Member

My 73 tele deluxe handles the job. The reissue has lesser electronics, but good originals with the Seth Lover pickups can be had.

4. go7

go7 Member

If done properly you can do just about anything with a Tele and get great sound. IMHO they`re simply great guitars and can stand alot of modding.

5. The_Whale

The_Whale Member

I had a Tele Custom with a neck humbucker and LP style switchgear.

In my opinion it didn't sound like a LP at all.

It sounded sorta what you'd expect a Tele with a low output neck humbucker would sound like. (I realise that's an unsatisfing answer)

6. Fripperton

Fripperton Member

I've got this one that has a HB and a Tele bridge pup. The cool thing is that it has a 5 way switch so I can get the HB, The HB split, the HB in series with the bridge, the HB in parallel with the bridge, and the bridge. It opens up a lot of tonal possibilities.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. mainsale

mainsale Member

I recently finished this Am. Std. Tele with a pair of Lindy Fralin P-92's, 4-way switching, 500k tone pots and a Hoveland tonecap. When I played it at my local music emporium, mouths dropped open. need I say more?
    [​IMG]

8. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

I've put together 3 humbucker Telecasters. This is my second, and the only one that's still complete. The other 2 have donated their necks.

[​IMG]

My old Pointer uses it for a pillow sometimes.

Each HB Tele has been drastically different. I wouldn't say that any of them were anything like a Les Paul. Not in feel, or sound. I wouldn't judge them against a Les Paul.

I concider them a different beast.

I think they're worth building just because they're easy to tweak and change parts to suit your needs. And that Tele control plate that can be removed without taking off the strings (like you have to do to get to a Strat's electronics) make the Tele a great hotrodding platform.

Pete

9. brads

brads Supporting Member

Thanks for all the replies.

It seems it won't sound much like a LP, but can it get that great fat humbucker honk?

10. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

Stairway to Heaven solo was a tele...as were many of Gibbons solo's. Having said that...I've never heard one sound like a LP live.

11. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

Pretty much. That humbucker sound will be influenced by things like the wood you use for the body, the resonance of your neck, the pots you use, and how it's wired up, and a lot of other things.

12. karma1

karma1 Member

About a year ago I bought a new Fender Custom Tele from Musician's Friend - a limited edition model. It came with DiMarzio humbuckers (Tone Zone/bridge and Air Norton/neck) with coil split switch. It's got a mahogany body and the tone I get from it in humbucker mode is very Gibsonish. The Tone Zone in the bridge is very fat and warm and screams with hi-gain distortion. I can't say that the neck pickup sounds exactly like my Les Paul, but it is close. It's an incredibly versatile guitar and gets great single coil sounds as well. Before this I had a 72 Tele Custom with the Wide Range Humbucker - nice tone, but definitely not like a Gibson. But from my current experience I would say that a Tele with the right humbuckers can come very close to the Les Paul sound.

13. KRosser

KRosser Member

It won't sound like Gibson at all, even if you use a Gibson pickup. You will get some nice 'stringy' clarity to the standard humbucker warmth, and if you use a lower powered one with a light Tele body you get a decent amount of chime as well; humbucker-neck Teles are one of my favorite instruments of all time.

14. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Supporting Member

I have a mahogany body tele shape guitar with 57 classics from the early 80's that sounds alot like my LP's only better!

15. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Yes Mainsale..
    could you indeed, please 'say more' about
    the sound of the Fralin P-92's
    in your beautifully well done Tele... ​

These are supposed to be the same pup's PRS used in their discontinued EG-Bolt on's... and those were some of the best sounding humbucking single coils ever...!!

A lot of folk have been simply raving about these pickups...:)

16. jpervin

jpervin Member

My favorite neck humbucker tone is from this man and his Tele.

[​IMG]