Tele w/ Rosewood board?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jrm, Jul 25, 2008.

1. jrm

jrm Member

Hello friends:

I have been on a long-term search for a tele. I don't NEED it... just WANT it! So I'm taking my time.

I've played a few maple board treles, but I think I like Rosewood boards more. I'm used to them, like the look, the feel, etc... What are my options for teles with rosewood boards? Unless I'm building my own (I've thought about building a pine one), I'd rather stick with Fender. Not that I'm a gear snob, I've just always wanted a legitimate Fender tele (unles I build one of course). Can you help me figure out what is out there?

2. Jellecaster

Jellecaster Member

Low price range ($600) - Classic 60's
    Mod price range ($1000) - American Standard
    A little more ($1300) - American Deluxe
    A little more ($1500) - American Vintage '62

All awesome guitars.

There are others... What are you looking for?

3. Vintage-tone

Vintage-tone Gold Supporting Member

There's quite a difference between a maple board neck ( maple neck + maple board glued on it 59 to 69 period ) and a solid maple neck ( 50's and post 69.
    Not saying just to be a vintage snob at all but the solid maple really feel stiffer to me and respond quite differently than a maple board.
    This said you could get a nice slab board relic or a a veneer curved board relic for 1500 to 3500. They re usually pretty good guitars and I ve seen loads on TGP for very fair prices.
    My only advice as usual would be try as many as you can in every price range, vintage and new ones and try and make a note of what you like and dislike in each of em.
    I personally love the slab brazilian rosewood board with a swamp ash body better than with an alder body but it s all a matter of taste.

4. jrm

jrm Member

I'm basically looking for soemthing to complement my current setup. I mainly play my LP standard, my Highway 1 Strat, and my SG (in thar order), but love the sound and look of telecasters. I need a tele that can get mean and agressive so I can use it in my band, but that also cleans up nice to play well in a praise & worship setting. I tink I prefer the rosewood because it gives a warmer tone.. less ice-pickish (or perhaps that's just my psychosomatic impression) . Does that vague of a description even help in clarifying a bit?!

5. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

The ice pick comes from the pups, not the fret board. However, if you like rosewood, go for it. You mentioned your Hwy 1 Strat, if you're happy with it, why not look at a Hwy 1 Tele?

Good luck in your search.

6. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

I'd get a 62ri without a doubt...I've owned 2 avris (62 Jag and 52 Tele) and they are both top notch which leads me to believe all the avris are.

7. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

My preference is for Tele's with rosewood boards. I have three parts Teles now, one with a traditional maple neck and rosewood board, and two with solid rosewood necks. And I love 'em all!

8. Vintage-tone

The rosewood neck and Custom bound body also makes a sweet looking guitar. Some really cool MIJ custom tele + set of handmade pup and you d be a happy Telecamper too .

9. Jellecaster

Jellecaster Member

Of those that I listed, the American Deluxe has the hottest pickups (Samarium Cobalt), which are completely noiseless. They don't nail the classic Tele sound as well as others, but may be more versatile and suit your needs better.

The Deluxe also has the S1 switch, which provides one additional tonal setting over the others.

10. thesweetness

thesweetness Supporting Member

11. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

I've gotta say, the best "tele" I've ever heard--and the guitar that finally sold me on Teles (a '78 Fender warmed me up)-- was an ASAT Classic (with rosewood board) that I sold to Jet Age Greg (so I'd know where to find it). It might be worth a/b'ing, if you can. -E

12. E Baxter Put

E Baxter Put Member

From your description, it sounds like you might like the Muddy Waters tele. It is fairly inexpensive, but has an amazing rosewood slab neck. It can also sound pretty aggressive. I have played a lot of teles, and I really like mine.

[​IMG]

13. TanquerayCowboy

TanquerayCowboy Senior Member

Get the right Tele, and that order might change. My own conclusion is that there is no better guitar design. Check out the Classic '60s before the more expensive AVRI '62. If you have the scratch, that '62 with the body binding is hard to beat.

14. m@2

m@2 Member

can I get an ahmen? yah, my R7 is cool too, but nothing beats the right tele... oh.. except the right Esquire!

15. Vintage-tone

I so agree ! ok it's not a rosewood but a cool 51 Esquire!
    [​IMG]

16. Weathered

Weathered Member

I used to shun rosewood board Teles until I tried the right one. I now have one maple board and one rosewood board Tele, and the RW one sounds just as snappy, but definitely has a different midrange thing goin' on.

Try as many as you can - I've tried an awful lot of RW board Teles that lacked the Tele snap, but some of them have nice, tight grained RW that leaves the top end there, and changes the mid response.

17. mainsale

mainsale Member

I picked up this NOS American Standard Tele some time back then replaced all of the guts with Callaham parts and pickups. Wow! What a good guitar it turned out to be!

[​IMG]

18. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

The 62 "thin skin" ones that Wildwood and Dave's have with the modern radius and frets look cool especially the bound ones, but would SOME vendor please order these with a beefier neck like a 50s tele? PLEASE!!!!

19. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

I'm partial to bound bodies and rosewood boards myself........

[​IMG]

20. 59burst

59burst Gold Supporting Member

+1 :dude