Tele wiring help.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by derek_32999, May 13, 2006.

1. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Finally TGP is up!! I would like to see if anyone knows how to wire my tele in a mad scientist sort of way. I would like to be able to use a .05 cap on my bridge pickup for that tele wah swell, and a .022 cap on my neck to be able to roll off smoothly into a jazzy tone.

See one of the problems is that roll off. In order to get a nice quack I have to have a quick tone roll-off at the bridge, but a slow tone roll off at the neck (to dial in the jazz warmth). RIght now I can get a quick roll off at the bridge to quack, but when I try to dail in anything at the neck it goes from beuatiful neck tele pickup to mud. Thanks for any help!!!

2. K-man

K-man Member

Where do you buy those switches? I didn't know they were available aftermarket.

3. has-sound

has-sound Member

Have you thought of using a wiring harness with two concentric pots? That would give you a volume and tone control for each pickup. Stan

4. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Thanks guys!

Has-sound-- yes, I have thought about that, but I cant find anywhere that has those pots in stock :(

5. has-sound

has-sound Member

I have them! Check out my website below.

6. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Cool, I will check them out. The S-1 switch sounds awesome though. I can't find a PIC of it. It sounds too complicated for me to install myself. I dont need more than the standard 2 leads for my pickups do I ?

7. has-sound

has-sound Member

I also have a Dual Tone Control on my homepage. It is built on a push-pull pot and made to switch between two different tone caps. Stan

8. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

It is possible to have the different pot values for the different pickups without buying anything other than a few caps. Rewire the switch and everything works beautifully.

If you want, I can try to draw it up for you.

Here's a picture of it:
    [​IMG]

9. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

WOW CHRIS!! That is beautiful! See, I figured there was some way to do it without a bunch of switches and things. I have had a little bit of a hard time finding the schematic for a 3 way or 5 way switch though. Like for example, I can look at a 3 way les paul switch and see that when I flip up the neck is selected etc by looking at the metal pieces on the bottom.

On the tele and strat switches I have a hard time distinguishing which selector potition corresponds with the hook ups at the bottom if you know what I mean.

I hate just having a paint by numbers deal like seymoure duncan's site (which IS nice) because I want to know WHY and HOW mechanically is the bridge or neck pickup selected. It helps me to understand how to wire the thing up ya know! :D A diagram would be SO helpful you would not even begin to understand. I'm gonna have to check out your site too! Thanks Chris!!

10. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

I have to go sleep now, but will try to draw it up for you tomorrow.

It involves wiring the switch up a slightly different way, and using two .022 caps. It will give you .022 in the neck/middle and .044 in the bridge.

Is this for the ASAT? Did that come with a CRL switch? I had an '82 SC-2 that had the regular CRL switch.

A good way to start understanding the connections is to get a multimeter set for continuity and meter the switch, drawing it out on paper as you go. You should have seen the drawings I did to wire up my brother's guitar with a 6-way rotary for hum/single.

[​IMG]

11. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Actually, it is for a one off guitar I bought from the emporium recently. I got some lollar pickups from GVCG and they sound GREAT I just havent been able to wire the tone and volume switches the way I want to. I am basically getting rid of most of my pedals, so I need my guitar to do a lot.

I am also tihnking of getting a dual concentric volume pot so when I am playing clean using my amps overdrive and want to do the volume swells (like in this roy buchanan clip, damn clip nearly brings tears to my eyes knowing he took his own life (supposedly) he does the the volume swells around 3:10). I also would like the volume pot to have a audio taper when playing with my fuzz so it is easier to roll back to a nice overdrive tone (this is hard to do with the other taper, because the fuzz goes from full to nothing).

I would also like my tone to be able to do the wah swells at the bridge and be able to back off into a jazzier tone at the neck (my asat (which has a 3 way switch) does the neck jazz tones amazing, but not the bridge wah sounds). I figured not only do I need a different cap value (.022 for the jazzy sounds and .05 for the wah) but also a different taper pot or a different value. Personally, if this type of wiring is available, I dont know why EVERYONE wouldnt do it. LOL IT would definately be bad ass!!

That rotary switch is awesome!! I thought about doing that but figured the rotary switch would go bad on me(just didnt feel as sturdy as a regular 3 way or 5 way).

BTW I also thought about wiring my tele pickups with a 5 way switch for more tonal combinations (since it is my franken tele). However, that may be going too far :D.

Sorry for the novel.

12. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

Here's my drawing of how I'd do it. Should be right (but it is late!), hope it helps you.

[​IMG]

I have that Buchanan performance on VHS, unreal. I find the most versatile tele setup for me is with the stock 3-way and .047 cap. I don't wire them quite normally (everything functions the same, just works better, good sweep and no loss of highs turning down the volume pot). It is very difficult to do swells on a dual-concentric. The CTS pots Allparts carries have a very nice taper on them. I buy in bulk, meter them out (most of them are off spec) and match pots to pickups/guitars. With normal-output tele pickups, right around 250K is best. Weak pickups are nice with lower-valued pots and hotter pickups get the higher-valued ones.

Actually, the 6-way switch I used is very sturdy. There are some cheesy ones available, but this one is solid. The guitar has a Dimarzio FRED in the bridge and a Fender Tex-Mex Strat in the neck. Runs: Bridge series/Bridge split/Bridge parallel/Bridge full+neck/Bridge split+neck/neck. 500K pots. I'm actually planning on throwing in a 270K resistor to sweeten up the neck pickup and a .1 capacitor to fatten up the split bridge sound.

13. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Looks NICE!!!! I will definately try that out!! THanks!