Tele with Bell Like Sound

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Majai, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Majai

Majai Member

I'm looking to pick up a Telecaster, and want one with a "Bell Like" tone. I'm not a big fan of the typical Telecaster Twang. I have heard a couple of Telecasters that have an amazing bell like tone and an looking for advice on what to look for in a Tele to get that sound.

2. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

Give some more specifics about the "Bell Like" tone.
    Are there any recordings or artists that exhibit this tone?
    Just FYI - almost every Fender CS Nocaster I've played rings out like a grand piano.

3. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Alder, rosewood, Lollar pups. That is a start anyway.

4. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Yep, when I think Bell like on a Tele, I think Steve Cropper and he went early 60s Tele (aka Alder/Rosewood).

5. Majai

Majai Member

Well, the reason I posted this thread is because I saw Casting Crowns last night, and the opening band was the "Daniel Doss" band. The guitarist in the band played a Tele that wasn't Twangy but very bell like. I'm pretty sure that not too many people are familiar with the Daniel Doss band.

6. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

I didn't realize Casting Crowns was touring.
    I'll have to let my wife know. She loves them.
    Thanks for the heads up

7. Majai

Majai Member

Casting Crowns played in Rocklin, CA last night.

8. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

For me, the bell like sound comes from using the neck pickup - either solo or with the bridge pickup, too. I think Nocasters do this tone well.

Bryan

9. Majai

Majai Member

I'm not looking to spend $2000+ on a guitar. The least expensive Nocaster listed on Musician's Friend is $2600. I was hoping to spend less than $1000. I'm willing to buy used, or maybe put together what I want via warmoth.

10. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I mainly mentioned the Nocaster, as it has the traditional tele woods - ash body, maple neck/fingerboard. Some of the comments were steering towards alder and a rosewood fingerboard, but I think you can get the sound with either.

For under $1K I would look at used 52 Reissues, the Baja tele, and the 50's tele. Those all have the potential to sound great. As always, try before you buy.

G&L ASATs and ASAT Classics are also worth a serious look. The ASAT Special, in particular, has a lot of the bell sound on the neck pickup.

Bryan

11. morglan

morglan Supporting Member

In my own personal experience, I've been able to achieve the bell tone through specific amps not guitars.

I could easily get the clear bell tones from both my MIM strat and my California Fat Tele through my old 68 Princeton, but not through my little Marshall, 70s Champ, or my 59 Bassman LTD.

12. DavidH

DavidH Member

+1 Alder/rosewood is a good start.

13. Stratofuzz

Stratofuzz Supporting Member

Same here, but with an Allen Old Flame. Both my EJ Strat and my Hamer Special can get a bell tone on the neck pickup. I am GASing for a Tele myself, and Don Mare pickups will be in that guitar. Call Don for his insight on this subject.

14. elicious

elicious Member

Once the resonant marriage between neck and body is complete, getting that "bell-like" tone out of a Tele's neck pickup should be a snap (as long as you set pickup height correctly; use your ears ;)). In other words, play a bunch and buy the one that resonates/sounds like a piano unplugged...it don't have to cost $5000;).

15. sears

sears Member

My alder/maple tele plus has an articulate sound where you can hear each note. It's medium-weight, 8.5 lbs or so?

16. Birddog

Birddog Member

This is mine. Some people say I went overboard with the relicing *eyeroll*, but the tone is sweet and not just "bell LIKE". Semi-hollow body, chambered, Mexican pickups.

The folks in Philadlephia were all "you stole the bell, you stole the bell...blah blah blah", but it was worth it. It's not like I could find one at Warmouth.

I know this isn't the emporium...but it's going on Craig's list next week and there's like...umm...a lot of people interested in it.

PS: yes, it's heavy, but nothing a wide strap can't tame.

[​IMG]

17. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Member

i would check out a danocaster. he is the tele king, if you want it he can build it, it plays better and has more mojo than any CS and this dude knows his stuff. little over your price but well worth it IMHO. i got one after playing a very boutique makers guitars and this is the best tele i have played hands down, not to mention the best sounding. danocaster.com

Jordan

18. tzamosti

tzamosti Silver Supporting Member

+1...I just took shipment of my dakota red danocaster a few days ago. I have played CS Teles (even Ltd. Ed. ones), and other boutiques like Vinetto, and this is on par or in some instances better in playability and tone. Alder/Rosewood combo...the sound is anything but thin. I can't say enough so far. It is a perfect match with my 72 Tele...ash/maple. I can really cover all my bases with these two! Really good guy, too.

19. cander328

cander328 Member

Not in your price range new but I would look for a used 1960s CS Relic with the vintage wiring, Alder body and rosewood board. I have one of these and it quickly became my number 1 with a full range of amplifiers.

[​IMG]

20. Hooper

Hooper Member

I think you should consider a thinline tele. My cs thinline has what I would describe as "bell-like tone." I think the thinline has a little bit better sustain.