Telecaster 3-Way Selector Fix Suggestions

Medgeking

I love telecasters to death. My favorite guitar is a telecaster parts build I put together.

However, the 3-way selector switch drives me nuts because it's so close to the volume control when the bridge pickup is engaged.

Anybody have a mod suggestion to deal with this issue?

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
Put a top hat switch tip on it and you'll find that it now is higher than the volume knob....or bend your switch downwards (towards the floor) and it will give you the room you need away from the volume knob. It's something I read that Danny Gatton did and I've found that it solved the the problem you're experiencing. It doesn't cost a cent.

burner

You might also try flipping the control plate around, then switch the vol/tone knobs around.
I did this and found it to be a much better setup for me.
Recently I've read that this arrangement is favored by some popular artists and/or session players.
.....and I thought I had invented it. lol

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
I love telecasters to death. My favorite guitar is a telecaster parts build I put together.

However, the 3-way selector switch drives me nuts because it's so close to the volume control when the bridge pickup is engaged.

Anybody have a mod suggestion to deal with this issue?
As others have suggested, the Rutter's plate is great. I just installed one on my Suhr Classic T Pro a couple days ago. The angle switch is nice, but also very important is the fact that the hole right next to the slot is moved 3/8" further away. That along with a strat or tophat switch tip (I have yet to decide which one I'll ultimately go with) and you're all set. I also turned my plate around to have easier access to the volume and tone controls, but that's not necessary to realize the benefits of the Rutter's plate.

-
Austin

jpervin

XSSIVE

D'Avanzo Guitars
Gold Supporting Member
Get the Rutters plate and turn it around.
Yeah, that's how I plan to use mine. I always liked tele plates flipped with easier access to the volume and with the Rutters angling the switch and moving the knob over makes it even better.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
terrible idea

i also did the bent over switch tip thing, which as i understand it is the danny gatton mod when it's flipped down with the switch forward, and the bill kirchen mod when flipped up with the plate turned around.

Trending Topics