Telecaster bass

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Sparky6string, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

These days I'm finding myself playing bass more and more for bands, and I even have a big audition this coming weekend in the city. I have an entry level bass as of now and I actually like it a good deal but I see myself upgrading sometime in the future. Being the huge Fernandes fan that I am I'm holding out for a Fernandes Telecaster bass copy because I like the styling so much, and you just don't see that many of them out there. But I started thinking: is there a good reason there aren't that many out there? What are the tonal characteristics of this guitar? Does anyone have any substantial hands-on experience with one of these designs? Thanks.

2. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Do you mean 1968-72 Tele bass or post 72 Tele bass?

3. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

Tele basses with the single coil pup are copies of the original 50's P Bass before they went to the split coil. The piece of gear I've had the longest is my 69 Tele Bass. Positively evil low notes! More alive than a P- Bass, but the catch is that they can be pretty noisy when played through a big old bass amp (i.e. SVT). The sound is incredible, though.

4. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

I'm not sure which one Fernandes copied. I couldn't possibly afford one of the originals and I love the MIJ Fernandes offerings so I'll be buying one of those.

5. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Interesting. I suppose if I needed to I could change out the pickups.

6. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Is it the big huge mudbucker by the neck join or is it a single coil unit?

7. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

there was a MIJ versdion of the single coil tele bass in the late 80's /early 90's i think. It was very good, and pretty cheap at the time. Not sure what they go for now.

8. Rhomco

Rhomco Silver Supporting Member

On a budget? Let me suggest a Jay Turser. Here is one I modded for a west coast player on a budget with a headstock trim to the tele look and a refin in seafoam green nitro. New harness, pickup and tuners. She rocked to say the least.
    Rob
    Tele12 String Conversions
    Tele Variax Conversions
    Tele Basses
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Rhomco

Rhomco Silver Supporting Member

The Squire Vintage Modified basses are a great platform as well. Here is one I did for myself by adding a Jazz pickup, Harness and some headstock cosmetics. The first pics are with the original neck. I later changed the neck to a Jazz profile and a rosewood board. The pis are from a "How To Install a Neck" thread I did over at the TDPRI Forum. Very good tone pallet with the blending of the modern bass bucker and the Jazzy. OBTW, the mud is gone from this new "Mudbucker" they put on these basses.
    Rob
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Cris Simões

Cris Simões Member

Hey dude!
    I would like to hear a recording with the sound of that with new Squier Jazz pickup in the bridge!
    "Ei cara!
    Gostaria de ouvir uma gravação com o som desse Squier com novo captador Jazz na ponte!"

11. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

Blaspheme!!! A tele bass w/ a rosewood f.b.!!!

I have one of those:

[​IMG]

But this is how I mostly spell tele bass ('68):

[​IMG]

12. theruley

theruley Member

the mike dirnt sig is an option as well. I had one before I got my hwy1. Was abit heavy, but did it ever sound sweet!

[​IMG]

13. NashSG

NashSG Member

I got one of the P-bass 51 reissues this summer and must say it is a nice bass. Recorded one a few years ago and didn't think much of it, but the pickup in mine is really fat and loud, which kind of goes against the specs. I had to turn down the amp, it came through so much louder than my Jazz on the same settings, which should have a much hotter pickup. Pretty wild.

I've always gone more for the overdriven kind of bass tone, but I got this one tuned in on my amp and have that old 70s p-bass sound like you would have on a ZZ top or Neil Young record. I dig it. Different than my Jazz or even my old regular P-bass, that is true.

14. Dr.Tom

Dr.Tom Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Love the sound of the '69 Tele Bass.

Tom

15. LarryNJ

LarryNJ Senior Member

16. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

:bow

17. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

No offense, but wouldn't it be possible to purchase the still-available Crafted in Japan real Fender '51 Precision bass for what your customer must have invested with all the alterations to this Jay Turser?

18. CavePassivePedals

CavePassivePedals Member

Not if he wants a colour other than butterscotch or sunburst.

19. jamesrsmith

jamesrsmith Supporting Member

i found a late seventies fender musicmaster bass for 300, sent the pickups off to lindy fralin for another 50, had them rewound, then for 50$ a tech really cleaned the rust and stuff up, it is a beauty. plays wonderfully, sometimes you can get them cheap if yhou look around.. they are very light weight and a real fender.