Telecaster Confession

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by trisonic, Sep 4, 2006.

1. trisonic

trisonic Member

I've been playing my '52 Tele with the pick up (ashtray) cover on recently. I prefer the sound (though damping the unplayed strings requires a change in technique), dunno why though! Rather, I haven't put my finger on why yet....

Anyone else do this? I know it is unusual to say the least.

Best, Pete.

2. Hooper

Hooper Member

I play a 1970 tele as my main guitar and I never take the cover off. I like the tones I get and I think I can coax a little more squeel with that cover on.....

3. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Any possible tone benefits for me would be SEVERELY outweighed by the loss of ability to palm-mute and chicken pick. For these reasons, I cannot imagine keeping the cover on my own '52 RI.

4. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Pete is the guitar a real '52?

5. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

It will definately affect the tone but as Jon mentioned the limitation in right hand technique is pretty extreme. It certainly worked for Albert Collins....

6. drolling

drolling Member

After getting used to the palm rest on my resophonic guitars, playing w/the ashtray on's lots of fun. Lets those open strings really ring out when fingerpicking.

Some players over on the tele page swear that the ashtray cuts down 60 cycle hum, too, but I can't say as I've really noticed much difference.

Albert Collins never seemed to have a problem w/the ashtray, either. Then again, his open F# minor tuning & 150' lead cord made him a somewhat atypical tele player..

7. trisonic

trisonic Member

Jack, I wish!

Funny story really - it was a gift from my wife. I took her out to dinner one night and she said she wanted to buy me another guitar (she's bought me four, in total) up to $1,500. Well I fancied an SG reissue I'd played recently in GC so I went in there intent on picking it up - but it had developed issues that I was not happy with (over a couple of days).
    So I'm standing talking to the Manager when one of his dweebs brings out a brand new '52 (right off the truck) and puts it on a display stand right in front of me.
    Pick it up - light as a feather. One of the best necks from Fender I've felt in a long time (this was just after they made the '52 necks bigger) - ask Jimmy Somma; he likes my one too.
    Huge Tele kerrang when plugged in - great for Brit Blues stuff too.

In other words a lucky find.

Best, Pete.

8. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Great story, Pete. Right time, right place. Just think you could have bought the SG before the issues popped up.:eek:

Also, how lucky you are to have a wife who supports your love of the instrument.

9. trisonic

trisonic Member

Yeah, I am lucky.

Tell you what though - what a difference in seeing a Fender straight off the truck rather than one that has been sitting in GC even just for a couple of days...................:messedup

Best, Pete.

10. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

Jimmy Bryant always played with the cover on.

11. T. Caster

T. Caster Member

Seems like you ought to be grateful to this so called "dweeb" for doing his job so that you could find your new guitar.

Dan

12. trisonic

trisonic Member

No offence intended. The poor guys are paid peanuts and treated badly.

Best, Pete.

13. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

I think you can figure out how to palm mute okay with the cover on--for me the main drawback is the inability to pick close to the bridge.

14. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

The main drawback is ... where do I put my picks, if the ashtray is on the guitar?

:D

I know, I know, old thread. Couldn't resist.

I wonder if Pete still has the '52.