• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Telecaster Control Plate Upgrade

Silver Supporting Member
Recently I decided to make a small modification on a Telecaster to move the volume knob away from the pickup selector. I picked up a new control plate from Rutter’s that has the volume knob 3/8” further back. Now that it’s changed it makes me wonder why Fender doesn’t use this spec unless they are selling a vintage spec. It’s a no brainer to my sensibilities.

1B78FB97-CE65-4194-89F3-8260F448207F.jpeg

zeffbeff

I'm actually looking to change out my Tele control plate for the same type. I do end up hitting the volume knob while using my switch.

Steadfastly

I have large hands and fingers so I can see why it would make a difference. In the standard setup, it's too close to the volume knob. Fender doesn't change it because it's not a problem for most people and changes are hard to make in those cases, even though it would be better to have it moved further away. My SX tele is fairly close but the knob on the switch is higher than the volume know so it's not a problem. Changing the switch to a higher one would fix the problem.

Dashface

I’ve got big ol hands but I have no problem with standard because I roll the volume knob up and down with the side of my hand - so I’m only touching the “back” side of it.

Blix

Norwegian
Silver Supporting Member
Good grief my tele needs a little cleanup lol. :p

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve got big ol hands but I have no problem with standard because I roll the volume knob up and down with the side of my hand - so I’m only touching the “back” side of it.
I also work the backside of the volume knob. Where I get hung up is slipping my hand between the volume knob and the pickup selector when it's on the bridge pickup and I want to kick it to middle or forward positions. Separating them an extra 3/8" is helpful.

You can do even better with the Rutters plate with the angled switch! :)
I missed that one!

Guppie

The problem is when you want to switch from bridge to neck pickup without turning/touching the volume knob.

jvin248

Or you can do the "reversed control plate" trick.

All my Teles get this mod.
I learned about it from this guy:

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, I did the angled plate reverse style. Might go back to the stock vintage style bridge. This bridge has perfect action and intonation, but takes away some of that tele twang.

Silver Supporting Member
Or you can do the "reversed control plate" trick.

All my Teles get this mod.
I learned about it from this guy:

I might try that one. Especially if my wires don't need to be recast. I suspect it's best to have the volume in the middle so it's more or less where it would be on a Les Paul.

I'm thinking about an Esquire conversion where I vacate the neck pickup and rewire the pickup selector. I just need to figure which pickup to use in the bridge.

Dashface

I also work the backside of the volume knob. Where I get hung up is slipping my hand between the volume knob and the pickup selector when it's on the bridge pickup and I want to kick it to middle or forward positions. Separating them an extra 3/8" is helpful.
Ah, see I forgot about that because I’m a bridge pickup only guy. So I never switch pickups. Makes sense.

Trending Topics