Telecaster Elite - why so little love?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Zounds Perspex, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Zounds Perspex

Zounds Perspex Silver Supporting Member

Just bought one off a friend - this is a killer guitar, but I almost never see anyone post or talk about one? Are the pickups not great? (This one has aftermarket pickups.) The tummy cut, contoured heel, compound radius, just feels great in the hand. Are Tele players just *that* resistant to changes in the design? Still looks and sounds like a Tele!?

gman1951 and stratzrus like this.
  2. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

This is a "modern" telecaster in every regard.

Not the vintage specs guitar where you can elevate the saddles (and the bridge pickup) and so you can get your fingers under the strings and really pop them. This is a guitar for guys using big pedalboards, creating space age sounds, who want the strings "slammed" against the face of the pickguard.

In other words this Elite is designed to compete against a lot of other designs by manufacturers, while maintaining the distinctive T shape. That's just not what works for me.
    If I did want a Fender brand guitar in such a vein, I'd go for the Strat instead.

3. drive-south

drive-south Member

I've got an American Deluxe Tele which is essentially the same guitar. I think the big turnoff for some is the noiseless pickups and S1 switching. I like it. I also have a 1973 Tele. It has more of the viseral Tele vibe going on.

Bopcat, stratzrus and NicDo like this.
  4. pewing33ny

pewing33ny Member

I loved it on paper as I prefer modern features and most teles are vintage-spec but I was not impressed at all when actually playing one. I have a Suhr Classic Pro which was similarly priced and the Fender felt like a toy in comparison. My 80s MIJ Fernandes tele felt better too.

To be fair, this was at Sam Ash which generally does setup their guitars decently for a guitar store, but it's still an off-the-rack setup.

5. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

The neck profile and (new) price are my big issues with it. It has some nice features, but as a whole it just doesn't work for me.
    I imagine a lot of people really want a traditional bridge at least. And probably would prefer not to have the S-1 switch. Tele players (really, guitarists in general) don't like change, and the Elite is a pretty big change from a traditional Tele.

6. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

People tend to prefer the vintage spec for classic guitars. Look at the LP Axcess, etc etc

stratzrus likes this.
  7. Strat-cat

Strat-cat Member

They’re awesome. Best neck I’ve ever owned.

8. slap dat

slap dat Member

I owned one briefly. I liked everything about it except for the pickups. The noiseless pups just sound dead to me.

9. Brmr

Brmr Member

I have a guitar center edition of the telecaster elite that comes with a maple top, ebony fingerboard, and v-mod pickups...one of my favorite guitars.

stratzrus and NicDo like this.
  10. MLaVache

MLaVache Member

I tried one the day they came out and loved it. The neck is gorgeous and I really dig the N4 pickups. Even though I was already in love with my American Deluxe, I was still sorely tempted.

I don't know what the people complaining about it not being "vintage" are on about. I use mine extensively for classic telecaster tones — it's really not that difficult. If you want a hard-to-play telecaster with bad intonation, there are plenty of "vintage spec" ones available.

Some people just hate anything new.

11. kushman

kushman Member

I haven't played an "elite" but I love my American Deluxe Tele , it became my #1 after I switched out the Noiseless Pickups and ditched the S1

12. Audioholic

Audioholic Member

I love my elite strat I just got. But it’s probably a preference. The S4 noiseless sounds great to me in this guitar and it plays easier to me then the other strats and tele I owned. So for me the elite series are great.

stratzrus likes this.
  13. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

I have a pair of 2016 Elite telecasters One is a two-piece Alder sunburst all stock the other is a one piece Ash with Twisted tele pickups instead of the N4s.
    They have become my favorite guitars. I love everything about them. The neck is the biggest selling point For me. It fits me perfectly and the radius is spot on for me.

Audioholic and stratzrus like this.
  14. MisterBoh

MisterBoh Member

They're great. I agree the neck is fantastic. You can find them for $1300 or less used pretty regularly too.

stratzrus likes this.
  15. data_null

data_null Member

I really like mine. Best feeling Tele I've had. Ended up getting rid of all my others after getting the Elite.

stratzrus likes this.
  16. gibson3798

gibson3798 Member

The day I came across an Elite Tele that had been upgraded with a Jason Lollar Charlie Christian (neck) and Lollar Vintage (bridge) was a very lucky day for me. The S-1 had also been removed and this guitar is killer in every way. The guitar was ergonomically correct out of the factory but the pickups transformed it into an incredible instrument.

I’d suggest these mods before making a decision one might regret.

17. The Birdman

The Birdman Member

I have multiple Tele Elites, like them very much. Unlike many people here, I LIKE the N4 pickups and the S1 switch.

gman1951 and Audioholic like this.
  18. Chippertheripper

Chippertheripper Supporting Member

None of the body and neck features bother me, but I don’t like a 6 saddle or slab bridge, and the electronics (out the box) don’t do anything for me either.
    I’d be thrilled with one with some Texas specials, normal controls, and any of a variety of bridges that are more traditional, in a sense.

19. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    My only problem with the Tele Elite was the front binding and the belly cut.
    I wound up buying an Am. Pro Deluxe Tele.

20. Kylote

Kylote Member

For me, Elite is code for "you can't afford this." I actually like modern conveniences that make it more comfortable to play, but a tad out of my price range even used.