• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Telecaster GAS; MIJ Squier or MIK Lite Ash Tele

nitefly7

Hi guys, couldn't find this through the search option or any other (forum) place on the Interwebs..

I'm in the need for some Tele-spank, and I've got my eyes set on a nice pair..
I can only buy one, however..

It's a toss-up between a 1986/'87 MIJ (A-series) Squier Telecaster and the -newer, pretty acclaimed- MIK Lite Ash Tele..

I'm clueless as to what the quality of A-series Squiers is (I've read up a bit on the whole JV, SQ, E-series buzz..)..

Please help !

sojiro

You want the Squier Classic Vibe tele. Check it out on YouTube and the Fender Forum, and search this forum as well. Incredible value and awesome tone. Personally, I wouldn't bother with anything else in the Squier lineup.

michael30

Platinum Supporting Member
Buy the MIJ. All japanese Squiers are good and will go up in value. Personally I find the Lite Ash series overrated. The ones that I played weren't very "lite".

gtraddict

I would go with the Squier it is a lot better guitar, the Lite Ash tele my friend had was terrible to say the least

LowWatt

Yep. Play them first. Every series has it's duds and it's winners, but for the most part an 80s MIJ Squier will kill the MIK light ash any day of the week.

sixty2strat

got a E series I made into a 52 style tele ...the neck is amazing put a old style bridge and string thur(drilled holes) black pickguard duncan anties in it and Feel no need to buy a "better" tele

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
The main catch with some MIJ Squier telecasters is the toploading bridge-primarily that the screws in the saddles can loosen so they don't seat properly and the saddles sit lopsided. This tendency is reinforced since the screw for the bridge intonation length comes in at the side of the saddle. If you keep an eye on the bridge saddle height screws so they sit properly the bridges sound fine, even if the bridge design isn't vintage. The upside is you can intonate all six saddles. Once you have the bridge adjusted to your taste, some nail polish or lightest loctite will keep the saddles right.

Dave Wakely

Play them, and several others. I have a Lite Ash that's a killer guitar - holds its own against a CS Tele - but was one of five I tried in the shop. The other four were very ropey. It's like all Fenders - some have it, some don't, and models/locations/series don't seem to be a wise guide to buying.

forestryguy

As Dave Wakely said, inconsistency is the rule. My Lite Ash Tele is a very good guitar, sounds and looks great. My only complaint is that the nut width is more narrow than usual for a tele and I run into a little trouble with double bends and such.

Polynitro

If its a 'Fender squier' they can be really good quality, its the 'Squier by Fender' that gave Squier a bad rap, although they are good again apparently.

A guy I grew up with his number 1 was a Fender squier strat that was better than his US one, this was like 1987.

Trending Topics