1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Telecaster Hum - Normal 60-cycle or a grounding issue?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by CaptainAwesome, May 20, 2011.

1. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Member

I did a search and there were a few similar questions, but not exactly the same as my issue...

The noise is only barely audible when played without effects and only happens on the bridge or middle setting. It is more of a hum than a buzz, but it's definitely noticable when I have any OD or Fuzz engaged.

The sound doesn't go away when I touch the strings, like I've had with my strats, however if I touch either the volume knob or the tone knob it disappears completely.

Is this normal or do you think there's a grounding/wiring issue?

Thanks in advance!

2. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

sounds an awful lot like the connection to ground on the bridge is not there.
    NORMALLY if you touch the strings the ground noise should go away... sounds like you are saying that doesn't happen at all now? and it does go away when you touch the tone knob?

3. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Member

correct - it only goes away if I touch the tone or volume knob or also the plate underneath them.

I just bought it new today, so I'll probably just need to take it back... It's a shame, because straight into a clean amp it sounds awesome.

4. slipperyfingers

slipperyfingers Member

Sounds like you need a ground wire from the bridge plate to me too.

SF