Telecaster neck pickup in bridge position

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by omfg51, May 1, 2015.

1. omfg51

omfg51 Member

Last night I jammed out with a coworker of mine at his practice space for a little while, I hadn't brought any gear, so I grabbed what appeared to be just an old beater parts tele that had been laying there.

It had two tele neck pickups, one in the neck position (obviously), but one also in the bridge. I was very surprised at how good the guitar sounded with the pickups like this. It was fat sounding, but also articulate, and touch sensitive, such great dynamics.

Has anyone else ever played with a configuration like this? It got me very seriously thinking about trying a new tele build.

2. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I've also wondered why we don't see this more often.

3. o0Ampy0o

o0Ampy0o Member

I wanted to put a Tele neck pickup in the neck position of a Strat.

Turned out to be more effort than I cared for.

I am imagining that a neck pickup in the bridge would sound better to me.

4. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

its just smaller , uses 43 wire, and has less winds

my favorite tele bridge pickup uses 43 wire and more winds
    (almost 12K DCR), basically as much wire that can fit.

thats what you want. Its also called a broadcaster or lap wrap
    43 wire around 8-12K

5. misterturtlehead

misterturtlehead Member

Alvy Crunschlechter had a Telecaster with a neck pickup in the bridge position.

6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i'd think it would be really thin and weak compared to the actual tele bridge pickup.

i suppose a pair neck and bridge in a guitar would be kinda jangly and ric-ish when played together.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  7. o0Ampy0o

o0Ampy0o Member

Being only that, what accounts for the difference in tone? I have heard Strat pickups in the neck position of a Tele and if anything it is weaker. Depends on which Strat pickup I guess.

Actually there must be more to the neck pickup than just the physical size and wind (were you referring to the neck?) because the base is very bulky compared to Strat pickups.

8. Turi

Turi Member

Articulate, touch-sensitive and great dynamics are all keywords that point to the amp.
    What amp were you using? Your normal amp, or a different amp?

9. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

yeah, because a strat pickup of similar wire, number of winds and construction is gonna be stronger, not weaker, than a tele neck pickup! the strat coil is bigger and the sound is not muted by the traditional tele brass cover.
    not normally it isn't, normal tele neck pickups are smaller all around, including the bobbin baseplate; what kind of tele neck pickup are you talking about here?

10. o0Ampy0o

o0Ampy0o Member

I am speaking of the neck.

I just now pulled up a Google search and see that what I was referring to is probably just extra plastic in the base to make up for it being smaller in size to fit the route. Many, at least, have a sort of triangular base. I didn't get to the point of physically comparing a Strat and Tele side by side. In pictures the larger base through me off.