Telecaster Neck Question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by ColinCaster, Apr 25, 2008.

1. ColinCaster

ColinCaster Member

hey
    if i put a replacement neck for a telecaster from Stewart MacDonald, and it is a righty neck, can i still put it on my Left Guitar body?
    i have a blank neck nut, im just going to file the slots
    is there any problems doing that?
    is there any concern with the frets?

2. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

The part about fitting the neck to the body shouldn't be a problem - righty and lefty necks are still cut the same at the neck heel, and the pocket is cut the same, so no problem.

The string tension will feel different though - you probably know that, right? Like a Handrix guitar, the low "E" will now have a lot of string length between the nut and the tuning post, where the high "E" will have very little string length - backwards from "normal".

The bass strings will feel 'slinkier', and the high strings tighter, especially when bending.

So, in the end a lefty neck should be exactly the same to install, but once done, it won't feel the same when you play the guitar as it would if it was a righty.

Dana O.

3. ColinCaster

ColinCaster Member

ok thanks
    would i just switch up the tuner spot too or no?
    like make it have a righty neck with lefty string layout?
    would that work?

4. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

I'm a lefty player whos parted guitars together for 30yrs now. I have been using righty necks on lefty bodies for a long time. Works like a charm. You will have to cut a nut to achieve a lefty string layout.
    Ask Stew Mac about the source of its necks, Stew Mac is great for tools but they are pricey. You may be able to get a Warmoth neck for the same money if you go to their showcase. e-mail me for any additional info.

5. ColinCaster

ColinCaster Member

well, StewMac is very generic with few lefty parts
    i had to make my own pickguard because they were so pricey

but yeah thats what i was planning on doing just filing down a nut to have it fit the string layout

thanks for the help guys
    ill refer to to anyone who needs help with their guitars you are great!

6. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Yeah, go for the blank. The precut tusq or graphtech at stew mac has a front and back and will not work.

Bubbanov

7. Ron Thorn

Ron Thorn Gold Supporting Member

Don't forget the side dots will be on the "bottom".