Telecaster Neck, Rosewood or Maple?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lazy912, Jul 17, 2008.

1. lazy912

lazy912 Member

I'm planning on finishing up a telecaster project, just need to pick a neck now. Which should I go with, rosewood or maple? And if you know of any good place to buy these necks, would appreciate it.

2. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

This is totally a personal preference decision - it depends on what you're going for.

Just my opinion, but generally maple necks for ash bodies and rosewood necks for alder bodies.

3. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Do you mean necks or fingerboards?

4. schmerf

schmerf Member

I'm going to assume you mean fingerboard material. For me its mainly a feel thing. Go with whichever you like more. If you are going with vintage frets a maple board can get sticky until it gets work down. Another thing to consider is that if you're finishing the neck yourself rosewood board necks are a lot easier to do. Sources for necks that I've had good experiences with are USACG and Warmoth. I've also bought several secondhand Allparts necks which were nice.

5. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I agree, although I have no experience with used Allparts necks. I prefer USACG of the lot.

I recently got an all (indian) rosewood neck (Warmoth) and I am disappointed so far. Fairly unmusical sounding next to all the maple ones with any board.

The only differentiation I think sticks is that a nekkid rosewood board can and will absorb gobs of oils and sweat from your hands and allow you to continue to play in humid and stifling conditions. You can keep hitting your marks until you pass out. Oh, and its easier to 'burn' you fingers on rosewood, especially on new or really low quality rosewood boards.

By the way, that rosewood neck? Smells like fish.

Bubbanov

6. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

But it sure is beautiful:

[​IMG]

Bubbanov

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  7. lazy912

lazy912 Member

pretty pretty...

So far, i think I'm going to go with the rosewood finger board. All my other guitars have rosewood, cant go wrong with that idea~