Telecaster pickup/wiring issue

Kmaz

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Partscaster Tele with an annoying issue. Every so often the bridge pickup position will stop working and the middle and front will positions will each produce the sound of the front neck pickup.

I brought the guitar in to my tech and he can't detect any issues; says it appears to be wired correctly. Obviously, something is wrong.

Pickups are Fender CS Nocasters. Any ideas?

StratoCraig

I think I'd try replacing the switch, though I'm at a loss to explain why a failing or damaged switch would produce this behavior.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
Could be an intermittent pickup selector switch, an intermittent cold solder joint (especially the 2 joints where the bridge pickup's pigtail is soldered to its coil), or an intermittent bridge pickup coil. Least expensive thing to try is to resolder the bridge pickup's pigtail/coil connections. If that doesn't fix it, replace the switch. If that doesn't fix it, replace or rewind the bridge pickup. A pickup's coil has wire that's about as fine as human hair so its easily damaged.

Guitarman6730

It's probably the switch I've had one get messed up one time and it wasn't letting me use the bridge pickup alone positions 2 and 3 were both pickups and position 1 was the neck but I changed the switch and wired it up and it worked great.

Trending Topics