Telecaster pickups like this?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by omfg51, Apr 18, 2015.

1. omfg51

omfg51 Member

I've been trying and swapping pickups for years, so I have a pretty decent idea of what's out there. I know of a few builders who could make this set for me very easily, but I wonder if they already exist.

I'm looking for a tele set wound with A3 magnets, the bridge with a copper baseplate, and output ratings at about 7.8k-8.1k ohms for both pickups. Optimally, probably the neck at 7.8k, and the bridge at 8.1k.

I'd like a set of pickups like this to be a little darker than most typical sets, but still very articulate. Right now I'm using Fender's Nocaster set, and they're just a bit bright for me at 7.1k in the neck, and 7.3 in the bridge.

2. omfg51

omfg51 Member

UPDATE: I found Lollar's special T, which is rated at 8.0k ohms, but with an A5 magnet. This is now a contender.

3. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

4. baiff

baiff Member

Give John Benson a call. He can wind you a custom set for very little money. Great pickup!!!

5. fezz parka

fezz parka Member

DCR has nothing to do with output ratings, and it's only useful when the pickups are identical except for the number of turns. 8k with 43awg is a whole lot different than 8k with 42awg. It's the whole banana: Type of mags (A2,A3,A5), diameter of mags, length of mags (an 8k turn coil on .625 mags is different from an 8k turn coil on .685 or .710). Copper plated baseplates are still steel underneath, it's only plated to make it easier to solder to.

The best thing you can do is tell a winder what you'd like it to sound like. Quoting specs is meaningless. Rob DiStefano at Cavalier will work with you to get exactly what you want, he'll get them to you quickly and at a decent price too.

6. dazco

dazco Member

+1. I just pulled one out of a tele because it's as the op said he wanted, "a little darker than most typical sets" and i didn't want that. But it fits his description exactly IMO and is A3. For a darker pickup (due to being overwound to 9k) it somehow remained more articulate than my 6.4k 62 custom and even my nocaster probably. So it sounds like it's right up his alley. But again, i feel when it's a bit darker than most you lose some of the complexity and that was why i removed it.