Telecaster PickUps. What have you loaded in yours?

Stonebandit

To those who have changed the stock pick-ups out of your Telecasters. I am curious to know what direction to head.

I have Fender Telecaster MIM with maple neck on 12-56's ErnieBall Not even Slinky going to a Tiny Terror to Cab.

PGS stock the Lindy-fralin-blues-special and the Fender Custom Shop Texas Specials.

We get around playing a wide range of tracks, Pearl Jam, Brad, StoneTemplePilots, Talkshow, Army of Anyone, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, and some good ol' The Black Crows and Rolling Stones along with some Guns'n'Roses and Velvet Revolver to meantion a few.

Any suggesting on the upgrade, I don't mind the originals, thought I'd like to try something for a change.

So looking for some Bluesy Rock Tones to add a bit of bite to the action.

Interested on what other Telecaster owners are using?

Thanking you in advance. Looking forward to some experienced views.

Last edited:

SW33THAND5

considering the music that you play. i would try the HARMONIC DESIGN - VINTAGE PLUS models. they give you the classic tele sound and maintain clarity but they are a *smidge* hotter than the vintage originals. i have and play a set in my tele and they sound sublime! when you drive an amp it snarls and gives a throaty growl in the bridge. in the neck they are syrupy sweet and very balanced tone-wise.

just my .02

google harmonic design pickups and look at the website.

Fendert

I got a Duncan broadcaster on my bridge, and a dimarzio twang king on the neck, and its just perfect for me. The broadcaster is thick, while the twang king has a magical clarity to it. I also have a 4-way switch to run them in series and that's when things get really fun!

Stonebandit

Thanks brothers, sounds like you know what I am trying to achieve.

The 12-56's have given a good run into fattening up the Tele'.
I don't want to lose that Tele 'Twang', it's just got such an awesome character between the Neck and Bridge PickUps.

I'll go and check out those pick-ups you fellows have mentioned.

I only mentioned PGS, as that is where I get most of my stuff.
Otherwise it's pedalpartsplus or directly off the pedal builders.

I am sure once we have found what we want that we will be able to track them down.

Last edited:

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
I'm in the process of building a Tele(2 actually). I chose Klein pickups for one, the Mini Humbucker(P90) and the 52 Tele Bridge pickup. I've been in communication w/ chris Klein and that's what he recommended to me based on the music I play. The combination has a wide tonal range and also gives you the traditional Tele sound.

For my other build, I am debating, and have been communicating w/ a sales rep over at Lace about their Aluma T neck pickup and the T-150 Tele Bridge pickup. Both are hot pickups, for a change from a traditional Tele sound.

drolling

Well, if PGS stock Fralins, it'd be hard to go wrong w/anything Lindy winds; his pickups have been in my main strat for over 10 years now.. sweeter sounding every day!

My #1 tele's a 1982 '52 RI with a stock bridge p-up and a Duncan 'Nashville Studio' in the neck. Seymour's rebranded this model the '5-2', IIRC, named for the types of magnets used (AlNiCo 2 & 5). Sounds every bit as good (or better!) than the original; I only swapped it out because it's RW/RP, giving me a humbucking effect in the middle position

Dirty power in a lot of the places I play, and in a further attempt to reduce noise, I got a set of Kinman 'Broadcasters' for my '69 thinline reissue - They're hotter than his standard tele p-ups, but still loaded w/sparkle & twang. They're not true single coils, tho', and don't sound *exactly* the same. IMO, a small trade-off for dead-silent operation

Steve73

The Fralin Blues Specials are nice tele pups for rock stuff. The top end is a bit sweeter and there are plenty of mids but they still have some Tele jangle to them.

Trending Topics