telecaster pickups...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by matacus, Oct 19, 2005.

1. matacus

matacus Supporting Member

im thinking about upgrading my 52 ri tele pups to something else...i get a lot of hum from these and id like to get something that doesnt hum...any recs?

2. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

If you don't want to spend an arm and a leg I would recommend the Bill Lawrence L-280/290 ($40/$48 direct). These pickups are noiseless designs with the 290 being a higher output bridge PU. Another possiblity would be the SCN noiseless pickups found on the 2004/5 Am. Dlx telecaster. These were also designed by BL in conjunction with Fender are probably closer to the vintage vibe than the 280/290. I would go down to GC and check out this noiseless Tele and see what you think. If you don't like the tone then BL pickups probably won't work for you. In this case, the next option up the price scale is Dimarzio Virtual Vintage followed by Kinmans.

3. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

4. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

THE WHAT???? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Lucy, you got some 'splaining to do!

5. Unburst

Unburst Member

If you want noiseless I suggest Kinman or DiMarzio Virtual Vintage.

6. bobotwt

bobotwt Supporting Member

I have 2 SR's and a tele broadcaster bridge that Jim made for me in my tele. I've had them in there for about 6 months and they are fantastic. There is still some noise, but they are much quieter than the stocks. I'm thinking of trying a Kinman Broadcaster just to see if it will be quieter (If I don't at least try, I will always wonder). I don't know if I did something wrong. I have shielded the cavities with "less emf" paint but it didn't seem to help at all. Maybe I still have a grounding problem. But the WCR's sound amazing.

7. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Hey Guys,

I found the WCR site but couldn't find the Broadcasters...

8. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I'm glad that someone is recommending the Virtual Vintage's as an alternative to the Kinman's. I'm really interested in the V V's. The Kinman are amazing, but do sound a bit "perfect" for my taste. And they're more than double the price.

The Dimarzio Virtual T's are probably going to be in my American Std by the end of the year.

9. stratofied

stratofied Member

When did I miss this one?

10. Curly

Curly Member

Duncan Antiquities are a great fit for a '52, but they aren't noiseless.

11. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

i'm not trying to flame anybody who uses noiseless stuff, i mean what the hell, i've tried it before...

biggest piece of advice i can give you is, be patient and buy used because if you've never gone the noiseless route before it may not be to your liking and that way you won't be out a lot of money if you find that you miss the traditional single coil sound.

for me, it seemed like a great idea when i was recording a lot, especially around the computer, but when i got to a much larger gig and was cranking at full stage volume, the noiseless joints just didn't have the guts when it counted. no what i mean? anyway, and it's not like a had el cheapo fender vintage noiseless either, i had the top of line kinmans.

on the other hand, you may find that they are the perfect tone for you and that i am totally full of ****... he he he. good luck.

12. prof2915

prof2915 Guest

I´ve got a Kinmans 60´s set.
    No hum, but they sound rather thin and sterile and have way to much treble. (even for a Tele)

13. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I think the Lawrence pick ups are quite kicking.
    Besides that I love my Lollars in my Mayes C
    also I used some Kinman Broadcasters in my own project which are awesome.
    Also just heard some Bardens they are quite good too I preferred my Lollars a bit more, a bit more spank/twang in the bridge.
    Actual Vintage pick ups aren't too shabby btw, I have a 67 and 68 and the pick ups in those scream!

14. drolling

drolling Member

I've got a 23 year old 52RI that's stock except for Glendale compensated saddles. The pickups hum, but they sound so good I just can't bring myself to remove them.

On the other hand, the less than spectacular p-ups in my MIM thinline have been replaced by Kinman AVn 48s. His take on the 'Broadcaster' sound, they're dead-silent & somewhat hotter than the AVn 60s.

The Dimarzio Virtual Vintage pickups are another great 'noiseless' choice, tho' thicker & more 'humbucker-ish' sounding to my ears.

Remember that none of these 'silent' designs sound exactly like single coil pickups, but they're getting closer all the time.

15. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Hey Drolling, I don't mean to derail but gow are the Glendale saddles? I've got a 52 Reissue w/Callaham Compensated Brass Saddles and was wondering if the Glendales would intonate any better.

16. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I've seen the Glendale ones and I've used the Callaham ones. I had zero issues setting up the intonation with the Callaham saddles myself, the Glendale ones look the same in style and methodology to me. I've never used the Glendale ones though.

17. ScottB

ScottB Gold Supporting Member

I'm pretty happy with the sound I get out of my Deluxe Tele, with Fender noiseless p'ups.

Not totally an authentic vintage tele sound, but good nonetheless. Sounds fantastically thick (and well behaved) with extremely high gain, where even my LP's scream like banshee's!!

18. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

lollar vintage T's sound beautiful