Telecaster Pickups??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lttoler, Aug 14, 2006.

1. lttoler

lttoler Senior Member

I have an American telecaster from around 2000 that I'm wanting to replace the pickups on. I am looking at the Texas special pickups and the American Vintage noiseless pickups by fender. Does anyone have any comments on these two types? Thanks!!!

2. tone4days

tone4days Member

when i tried the AVNs in my tele-clone, i didnt like them as much as the seymour duncan vintage stack for tele set ... the duncans sound as if they had more controlled 'oomph' without being too much .... great clarity and twangy spank, depending on how i ride the volume knob .. the fenders were anemic, by comparison and didnt create as much nuance ... both are equally quiet

never tried the TX specials

good luck
    t4d

3. lttoler

lttoler Senior Member

alright, well if i decide to go with vintage i will prolly give the SDs a go. Im a big fan of their pickups anyhow. Anyone got any comments on the texas specials?

4. meyersforever

meyersforever Member

The texas specials have more midgrange content and more output. I have found them to have less twang and more of a tendency to get muddy. I replaced the ones in my tele with fener vintage noisless pickup sand was happier with the tone. I eventually sprang for some kinmans and am way happier with my tone. I would go the sd route if I were you.

5. mainsale

mainsale Member

If you already have a humbucker neck route I would go with a Fralin P-92 in the neck, a Blues Special in the bridge with 4-way switching and a vintage style bridge with compensated brass saddles. You can thank me later! There will be no mud, only amazing Tele tone with Twang when you want it.

6. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

That's been my general experience with TS's, too -- BUT, I did pop them in a CIJ '62 RI (alder/rosewood/steel saddles) and they sounded great. No one was more suprised than I, although that might have been because no one else whas there, too.

If the AVN's are the samarium cobalt pickups, I had those in a Strat. I liked them at first, but, as I grew to know them better, I liked them less & less. I thought they had sort of a grainy tone -- I don't know how to put it better than that.

Were it me, I'd save up the extra clams & get Lollars or Fralins, unless you're stuck on noiseless, in which case I'm (other than the SCNs) ignorant.

7. lttoler

lttoler Senior Member

What kind of vintage bridge would you suggest, the ones with the 6 independent saddles, or the ones with the 3 saddles?

8. Reeek

Reeek Member

I'd go with the Wilkinson compensated three barral vintage Tele bridge myself. My Suhr Classic simply rocks with that bridge. You'd probably like Suhr's pickups too.

9. Unburst

Unburst Member

I had them in my Tele for a while and liked them a lot.
    Little bit hotter than standard Tele pups, the neck pup is great sounding, rich and full but enough bite for OD leads.
    The bridge pup has more mids and output than most Tele pups but still sounds sweet, gets into P-90 territory with the tone rolled back.

If you want noiseless check out the DiMarzio Virtual Vintage

10. levelfrets

levelfrets Member

I Like the Texas Specials or Fralin Stock Tele Pickups. Especially because you get hum cancellation in the middle position. The also sound killer with a 4-way tele mod. The 4-way mod was new to me until I bought one of the assemblies from Mojotone.com. Its the only way you should have a Tele.

11. Unburst

Unburst Member

Forgot to mention the Texas Specials are hum cancelling in the middle too.

12. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I like Kinman Broadcaster .. classic 3 barrel bridge, I also like Lollars

13. straightblues

straightblues Member

I would suggest you give Don Mare a phone call. He is building the best tele pickups these days. He will get you what you need.

14. Rocktrans formed

Rocktrans formed Member

WCR does Tele pups, by request. My Revelator '61 is going to have a pair!

15. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Had the VNs in a Tele, not bad, but not my fave. I'll give my often repeated prescription for great Tele tone. SD Jerry Donohue bridge...slightly hotter than 'stock' with great string-to-string balance and still plenty o' twang, and a Fender Twisted Tele neck. Trad. neck with tone good enough to stand on its own. Maintains clarity even rolled off and decent output. You will love that combo. AC

16. go7

go7 Member

Put a pair of Woltone Tele Cubs in a Fender 60 th anniv. The guitar is much better. More clarity harmonics ,no brittle highs. 7.5 neck is smooth sweet and naughty.8.5 bridge is true tele again strong but no ice pick highs.There just desn`t seem to be any weak point,these are winners in all areas. Thanks to Wolfe I have my keeper fender/ P.S. I love tele`s.Good luck!!

17. Gerald Johnson

Gerald Johnson Member

A pair of Bareknuckle "Brown Sugar" pickups is what you need!

Gerald.:RoCkIn

18. cpsdawg

cpsdawg Member

i have a 52' RI Tele and i hated the biting bridge and muddy neck pups that were stock. i put the ts pups in and i love them. bridge is powerful, but not too bright, neck is more like a strat than any tele i've heard. they do noise cancel in middle, but the shizzle is the 4 way mod. the switch is about $10 and wiring directions are included. gives you the standard 3 tele tones, but the 4th closest to the neck is a split humbucker. louder, fatter, but different than a real HB because the pups are 4-5 in apart. definately the best tele mod. and about $100 in cost. :AOK

my bridge is still the old 3 saddle brass. you just have to get it intonated as close a possible (not very). i probably should get the compensated saddles so it would be on.