Telecaster Repair Question

nastynasdaq

Sorry if this is on the wrong board I mainly browse the emporium. Anyways I recently took my FSR Tele and upgraded to Fender CS Nocaster pickups however the bridge pickup isn't properly grounded. When the guitar is plugged in it is very noisy and when I ground my foot on my pedal board and am touching the strings it stops so I know its a grounding issue. However I don't know whats causing this as I've re-soldered it and experienced the same issue and I don't want to go through and re solder and restring again when I could be missing something. Admittedly this is only my second time doing a pickup swap and first on a tele and my soldering is sloppy but I'm pretty positive that isn't the issue. Any help would be appreciated
PICS:

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
Hard to tell from the photo but, if the little ground jumper on the copper plate is soldered to the pickup's black wire terminal, and the other end of the black wire is soldered to the volume pot's shell, your wiring is correct. It is normal for a single coil guitar to be noisy when not touching the strings. If the noise didn't go away when you touched the strings, that would indicate the strings aren't grounded. Sounds normal to me.

jasons7

Silver Supporting Member
I can't tell from the pics but.... Did you lose the ground wire to your bridge plate?

K-Line

Vendor
Does it go away when you just touch the strings? If so. I would say that is normal.

Ron Kirn

Vendor
If you re-soldered the leads to the Jack, you may have reversed white and black.. that results in a very substantial hum.

Ron Kirn

RockDC

The bridge plate is grounded via the pickup mounting screws.

I'm not sure you can completely trust this. My last set of tele pickups I got were crazy noisy. I decided to drop a ground wire to the body cavity from the bridge. Made a change but not sure it was better. Then I lined the cavity with copper and dropped the ground wire and everything was fixed.

Ron Kirn

Vendor
While the ground contact made to the bridge pup's base place looks OK, it's hard to tell.. often not enough heat is applied to heat the spot on the plate to the same temperature as the solder's melting point.. this will cause the rosin to act as a "glue" making it look and feel attached, but actually no contact is being made....

the other solder connections are, well, lets just say, you may want to give them a little attention too..

Ron Kirn

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not sure you can completely trust this. My last set of tele pickups I got were crazy noisy. I decided to drop a ground wire to the body cavity from the bridge. Made a change but not sure it was better. Then I lined the cavity with copper and dropped the ground wire and everything was fixed.

Well, with 3 screws making contact with the bridge plate and pickup plate, it's hard to believe all 3 would have bad contact. But a seperate bridge ground should't hurt anything.

Yup, copper foil can solve some buzzy problems but it does little for hum. But some also hear less top end due to the added shunt capacitance of the copper foil. I copper shielded one of my favorite Strats a while ago and ripped out the shielding after one gig as it killed the tone. But that's just me.

But, whatever works for you is the key ;).

Trending Topics

Top Bottom