Telecaster Replacement Neck

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by FenderAmpGas, Sep 2, 2006.

1. FenderAmpGas

FenderAmpGas Member

I posted this in the Tech info area but am hoping that I get more viewers from this area. I deleted the other thread so as not to take up space.

I'd like to replace the neck on my CIJ '52 Reissue Telecaster. The neck is a "V" shape and, while it's comfortable to play in most positions, the V is pretty hard from the 3rd to 1st fret. I believe it's a 7.25" Radius with a 1 5/8" Nut.

Just wondering if anyone has a suggestion on a place for a high quality replacement neck. I've been looking at the Warmoth necks vs. a CIJ Reissue neck on eBay for about $360 brand new. I'm thinking about ordering an unfinished Warmoth Vintage Quartersawn maple neck with a '59 roundback, 6105 frets, 1 5/8" nut, 7.25" radius then having Guitar Mill finish it for me with Nitro. That's looks to be cheaper than buying a CIJ '52 Reissue U shaped neck with tuners off of eBay but I'm more concerned with the quality of the neck.

Any other suggestions on places for a high quality tele replacement neck or should I just buy the CIJ U shaped neck? Again, this is to replace the V shaped neck on my CIJ '52 Reissue Tele.

Thanks!

2. JiMB

JiMB Member

Warmoth and USACG seem to be the most popular. Allparts necks are another good possibility. I've never owned any of these but I see them being used all over these boards. I would go with a USACG from all the things I've read.

3. straightblues

straightblues Member

If you buy from Warmoth, you get to chose everything from Radius, to contour, to fret size. If you buy a used Fender neck off ebay, you don't get the choice.

4. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

FenderAmpGas, please check your PMs.

5. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

if you choose from warmoth, they charge you more for options like neck size and shape and the double tross rod is heavy. usacg is much better because you can spec everything at no extra charge. only catch is their headstock, but when filed down looks more authentic to a vintage tele.

6. gnugear

gnugear Member

I got an Allparts tele neck with nitro finish from Rob at techfret.com

Couldn't be happier ... and that's after going through Warmoth and USACG necks.

7. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

The Warmoth vintage neck he specified does not use a double expanding truss rod, it uses a single vintage style rod. Compare the bottom line for price, not whether one or two features have a charge associated with them. Add the cost of reshaping the headstock (for USACG) unless you do it yourself. Also compare turn around time, it can be very significant.

8. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

Yea but given warmoth's lacking in the quality department a fret dress is needed, not optional like the usacg necks I've received. That plus the bad attitude and horrible customer service from Warmoth and I choose USACG every time. I was reading in another forum how Warmoth sent a guy something completely wrong and then argued with him when he tried to return it. I've read many more stories like that too and add that to my bad experience with them and that makes me not happy. Tommy at USACG is the coolest guy in the industry, period.

9. duckbunny

duckbunny Member

+1.
    I'm finished dealing with Warmoth.
    Tommy Rosamund @ USACG is the best.

-db

10. fullerplast

********. That's the second set of facts you got wrong. Both USACG and Warmoth put frets in essentially the same way. Any new neck fret job can be made better with a level. You can often get by without one but don't believe for a minute that either one is consistently better than the other for level frets. Go ahead, ask Tommy. He learned how to do it at Warmoth. Both companies offer excellent quality but it's clear you have an agenda to slam Warmoth so there's not much sense talking about it.

Allparts is probably the best bang for the buck on a good tele neck, with licensed headstock shape too.

11. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

That's where my next Tele neck is coming from. I've played a few and they're very nice.

12. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    For the folks who have had USACG headstocks reshaped, who have you had do it for you?

You can email/pm me if you'd prefer instead of posting the info.
    Thanks in advance!

FWIW, I've had no problems with Warmoth or Allparts-supplied necks.
    Not doubting anyone else's experience, just saying I've had no problems, and the necks have been first-rate.

13. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

No, from USACG's site:
    Fretwire slots are cut at the same curve as the fretboard radius, and not just with a straight bottom, as it would be if employing a gangsaw. When the frets are pressed in, there is only a minimal space (if any) between the fret bottom and the fret slot, creating a stiffer neck.

Find that on Warmoth's site and you'll win a gold star and a pat on the back.

Most workers from USACG are ex Warmoth workers for a good reason. You'll have to ask Tommy about that one.

Warmoth is like a fast food company that is after the bottom line dollar, USACG takes time to help you find what's right for you.

RE: headstock shape, I haven't done it yet because I'm proud that my neck is made by USACG, but from what I've read it takes a little while with sandpaper. go here and they can answer your questions:
    http://pub123.ezboard.com/fguitarsbyfenderfrm20

14. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

I've had fantastic customer service and first-rate product from Warmoth in the last year or two. The necks I ordered are great, and the phone guys were good to deal with and followed up to make sure I got everything okay. I thought that was pretty good!

I've also heard nothing but GREAT stuff about USCG, and will likely check them out down the line too.

I've owned two Allparts necks that were okay - not as nice as the Warmoth or a Musikraft I have (unbelievable quality!), but perfect for a straight-ahead utility guitar. No complaints and well finished.

15. fullerplast

Yet again, you've not addressed the question. First of all, you don't know what Warmoth does, do you? Secondly, what does this have to do with not needing a fret leveling? Nothing; the frets are pressed in the same way. Third, realize that marketing is a wonderful thing, but not always factual. Do you really think there is a difference in stiffness once the frets are in, even if the slots were cut differently? Think about it and explain the physics of it.

The workers at USACG are there for more money and a chance at moving up faster at a small company than a big one....pretty standard for spin-off type companies.

Yes, Warmoth is going for the bottom line, just like Tommy is. They are businesses. I don't really care what company you prefer (I've used both), but I'll call you on it if you don't present the facts correctly.:horse

16. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

I've built both. USACG is superior from options to order process to final product. This is my opinion and I respect your opinion if you've tried both.

Speaking of marketing, I was flipping through a guitar mag and warmoth always has their quarter page ad. As far as I know I haven't seen a USACG ad. I heard about them from word of mouth praise.

Have you ever even talked with Tommy? A few years back I gave him a call. This was right before he raised prices. He said that business was doing good but that the backlog was getting to be too big. He had two options and that was to churn them out faster (lesser quality and time spent on frets, imo warmoth style) or raise prices and he told me that he would never let quality slip so you can guess what he had to do. Then the subject of a custom job came up and we were discussing pricing and he let me know that they weren't making a horrible lot of money. The reason why I compare warmoth to mcdonalds is because they streamlined the system of ordering where you're stuck with just a few choices that are stock, just like ray kroc did for mcdonalds in the 50s with hamburger being the only choice. When I ordered from warmoth i felt like i was in an assembly line and the guy on the phone was rude and just wanted to get the order over and done with so he could get on to the next customer. I've heard lots of other people had that problem too so it's not an isolated thing. but if you want a hamburger then by all means order your hamburger.

radius fret slot = no gap under fret = stronger (last i checked wood is stronger than air in a rigidity test)... marketing? i'm not going to say it isn't, but is there truth to it? even if minimally stronger yes... but better tone? who knows...

17. FenderAmpGas

FenderAmpGas Member

Hi all,

Thanks for all the advice. Sorry if I started a prickly debate about aftermarket builders!

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that rather than ordering a neck from one of the aftermarket places, I purchased a CIJ U shaped neck off of eBay. I should have it early next week. Thought I would give this a try and then see if I wanted to order a custom neck.

Thanks again!!
    [​IMG]

18. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

Don't worry about it. Happens all the time, it's one of TGP's top recurrent threads, probably second only to "please recommend a humbucker-sized P90". It goes like this:

OP: Can someone recommend a good aftermarket neck/body?

- Warmoth.

- Oh no, no no no, not Warmoth, USACG. Warmoth baaaaaad, USACG gooooood.

- Well, I've been very happy with Warmoth.

- Yeah, but you don't have any options, it's like McDonalds. And forget about custom stuff...

- Er... you have literally dozens of options, check the website. As for custom work, they just made me a Strat body with Strat-Strat-Tele (pu+bridge) routing, no forearm contour and no jack routing.

- Ok, but Tommy's soooooo nice, plus he told me on the phone he's obsessed about quality and he's not in this for the money and he just raised prices so he could give more to charity. I mean, he himself told me that, so it must be true. Warmoth, on the other hand, is a greedy multi-national corporation about the size of Microsoft and they just outsourced production to China where they employ children and pay them $1 a week. And Ken Warmoth is, like, the reincarnation of Stalin.

- Who told you that?

- Some ex-employee who got fired.

- Oh. I see.

19. ~el gringo loco

~el gringo loco Member

Hey,

Don't want to step in the middle of someone else's poo flinging session, but I can say that I've bought from both suppliers and they both can be very, very good.

Having said that, I one experience with Warmoth that lead me to talk to Ken that lead me to agressively avoid doing business with Warmoth for 5 years. He just about told me that Warmoth was as big -- or maybe it was as important -- as Microsoft, and by the time he was done with me I reached the conclusion that he is the reincarnation of Stalin.

Now, that was, like 7 years ago now so I'm sure the dude has mellowed out, but I'm just sharing my experience, not telling you what Tommy told me.

Funny thing, I'm so over what happened between Ken and me that I've ordered a couple of pickguards and a body from Warmoth since then, and it's been all good. But man, your post struck a nerve -- just thinking about the way he treated me as a customer pisses me off all over again.

My take -- buy from either one, they're both good, and Warmoth is especially good if they have exactly what you're looking for in the Showcase and all you need to do is to place an order. But if you're doing something custom and want a first class customer service experience from someone who truly loves guitars and the people who build and play 'em, buy from Tommy.

Just my $.02, YMMV, etc, etc . . .

~j

20. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

Just reduced my collection from six guitars to four, and out of those four I have two Allparts necks, a Warmoth and a CIJ Fender. The only one I've had any kind of quality issues with is the Warmoth. After nine months the satin finish started flaking and peeling around the sides of the rosewood fretboard. It was under warranty; they refinished it for me and were super cool about it. Now three years later, the finish is flaking off again. There is a large and growing patch on the treble side between the fifth and seventh frets. I notice it when I'm playing, it's distracting.

Otherwise the rest of the guitar is also made of Warmoth parts and I have had zero issues with any of them. After the neck refin I took it for a pro setup, and since then haven't needed so much as a seasonal truss rod adjustment. The neck stays in one place, the action is consistently amazing and it's the best sounding guitar I own.