Telecaster Saddles Individutal Intonation on normal bridge plate

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by dashender7, Mar 24, 2015.

1. dashender7

dashender7 Member

I have a very specific question here - haven't yet found anything in all my searching that meets all of what I'm after:

I'm looking for a set of Telecaster saddles that will fit in an original 3 saddle screw bridge plate, but on which there are somehow 6 individually adjustable string "slots" or saddles for intonation purposes. To complicate matters, the saddles MUST also be slotted for use with a bigsby. I'm NOT looking for "compensated" 3 saddle systems that still have fixed intonation like Wilkerson, Callaham, etc.

I want to be able to use my existing special order cut down for bridge position humbucker, bigsby rear slotted Tele bridge but have full intonation adjustability and slots for stable use with bigsby.

So to summarize, here's what I'm looking for, and it must have all of the following:

1.) fits on a normal "3 saddle screw" Tele bridge plate to replace normal vintage style Tele saddles.
    2.) each individual string can be fully adjusted INDIVIDUALLY for intonation, NOT a 3 saddle "compensated" set.
    3.) Each string must fit in a slot so there is absolute stability with a bigsby.

Do such saddles exist as replacement parts?

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

you could make a big project of drilling all the extra holes in the back of the plate to take 6 of those little offset barrel saddles, but they suck (rattle, drift, sink, slide around)

just do 3 nice compensated saddles, it'll intonate fine, be more stable and sound better.

rutters would be good since they're grooved for each string, or you could put a slight notch under each string with any of the other 3-saddle setups.

3. dashender7

dashender7 Member

Thanks for the response Walter - I do already have the Callaham compensated saddles (and they are slotted for bigsby use), which came with the special order bigsby notched bridge plate for this build I'm doing.

I guess I've just been OCD'ing about intonation before I really gave it a chance as I'm used to TOM, American Standard, and other bridges that give you individual string adjustability.

I will give it a go with what I have.

Thanks again

4. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

My Tele is not my main but I've had a couple of them. I always put individual saddles on them to lock in the set up.

I just have to.

5. twostring

twostring Member

I'd think the Mastery Tele bridge would pretty much nail what you're looking for.

[​IMG]

6. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

That's odd...my G&L's bridge neither rattles, drifts, sinks, or slides.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong.

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

yes, yes you are ;)

i'm mostly talking about the old fender versions, and i don't recall if the G&Ls had any specific upgrades for their 6-saddle box bridge, been a little while since i've seen one.

on the fenders, the main problem was making room for an intonation screw on that little barrel; the string got forced around the screw on its way to the plate, and (more importantly) had to rest in a groove that was way over to one side of each saddle.

the result was that the vast majority of the string's down-pressure on each saddle hit one screw, leaving the other with almost no pressure to hold it in place; that "unloaded" screw would rattle, turn on its own or even back out and get lost, all leaving the now unbalanced saddle to shift around too.

8. Baxter Stockman

Baxter Stockman Member

I remember the fender six barrel Tele bridge...

That thing was ghastly.

9. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

Here's the G&L. Honestly it looks a lot like the Fender bridge, at least as I remember it, but in my guitar anyway it works great. All the benefits of the brass saddle without the disadvantages.

[​IMG]