Telecaster style/sound + Gibson scale length?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mkolesa@mac.com, Jan 13, 2008.

1. mkolesa@mac.com

mkolesa@mac.com Member

I keep thinking this should be an easy one but I've never found/noticed such a beast... Is someone making a high quality Tele style/sound guitar with a shorter (24.75" give or take .25") Gibson scale length. Bonus points for a Gibson neck profile too! The earlier post about forgotten guitars reminded me of the Telesonic which I've never played but think may come closest to what I'm looking for (although frankly I'd prefer a real Tele set-up with the electronics)...
    Thanks!
    Michael

2. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Why not get a tele, that is what you want, I find that the scale lengths let me do different things on the guitars, I have Les Pauls and strats, and it takes a few minutes to adapt to the different scale lengths, you could buy a Warmouth, they let you chose the body and neck and other components, but IMO just get a tele and you will find the scale does not bother you that much, we are talking 24.75" vs 25.5".

I had a tele for a while, the body shape is the same as a Les Paul which suprised me, not sure who stole from whom. Personally I prefer the Les Paul, though my Les Paul with split coils get a nice trebly tele tone.

3. wedgehed

wedgehed Member

4. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

p-90'd sgs with low output pickups will probably get close. Also Firebirds are somewhat close in their drive tones, but not too twangy.

5. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

Mcinturff terrycaster,
    the guy who did the first relics for fender does a nice 25' tele (I forget his name) cunetto???

6. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder Gold Supporting Member

Vince?
    Is this so?

7. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

Doesn't All Parts or Might Mite make a conversion neck that fits a standard scale tele to make it a 24.75 scale? You might check in to that.

8. JimH

JimH Member

Isn't the anderson cobra along these lines? Gibson scale, tele shape - seems cool.

[​IMG]

9. WordMan

WordMan Member

Yep - they do. I am seriously checking this out, too - basically a mahogany body (either solid or semi-hollow) and a big, honkin' mahogany neck, with a Tele bridge and a P-92 - in old Gibson Cherry with brown tortoiseshell pickguard and a bound top...

...not that I have given this any thought.

10. BattleAngel

BattleAngel Member

11. mkolesa@mac.com

mkolesa@mac.com Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the advice! Definitely some good things to check out in there... BTW, I didn't see a shorter scale neck at either Mighty Mite or All Parts, but Warmouth of course does them... If I really wanted to go that route I guess the choice would be between doing a complete guitar from Warmouth or buying something new or used and just substituting the neck. Any thoughts from someone who's had a parts guitar put together? The Squier also looks nice, I wasn't aware of them and will try to play one sometime. I like many of the crossovers mentioned but they're probably too similar to what I already have (VOS '60 LP Special double cut w/2 Fralin P-90's)... Thanks again!
    Michael

12. Vince

Vince Member

Yes.