Telecaster Suhr v's Ruokangas

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 1stormcat, Feb 9, 2008.

1. 1stormcat

1stormcat Member

I'm interested in a new or near new telecaster. From what I've read Suhr makes a very fine instrument. I am also interested in the Ruokangas Tele. I have a Ruokangas Duke and am most impressed with it.

Does anybody have any impressions of these two tele's?

2. XKnight

XKnight Member

My Suhr T should be arriving next week, so I'll be able to give my impression then. Never heard of the other company until reading your post, but I'm sure they make great guitars too. Probably not too many US owners though since the company is from Finland and it seems most of their customer base in is Europe. I'm sure someone on TGP will have an opinion though comparing the two.

3. hollowbody

hollowbody Member

I have "thinline" style teles from both. Both are great, both makers will do the Feiten system. Both feature top notch materials, beautiful frets and all round high quality construction with a rare attention to detail.
    My Ruokangas was not pleked but the intonation and set up were perfect. Of course, these guitars don't sound the same. IMO that is mostly because The Ruokangas is made from Spanish Cedar. It is a beautiful instrument and is lighter than anything I've encountered from Suhr.
    OTOH, Suhr does far greater variety with regard to neck profiles and fretboard radii. He also offers a cut down heel if that is what you want. The heel on my Ruokangas Mojo is the stock Fender style heel.

4. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

There are some really good Teles available from a company called Fender. They are in California. Not knocking the knockoffs. But I saw a thread earlier today where the guy was knocking Fender owners. And I've been paying a bit more attention. But good luck to you and I hope the guitar you get just knocks your socks off. Great fun. Best:) of luck.

5. XKnight

XKnight Member

Actually, it sounds like you are knocking the "knockoffs", probably without ever having played the two mentioned in this thread.

Out of curiosity, how do you define "knockoff"?

For instance, if I use to be a Master Builder at the Fender Custom Shop and then start my own guitar company and make various improvements over the original design, would you consider me a "knockoff" builder?

Or, If I originally started "Fender" then sold it and went on to start another company building similar guitars am I also making "knockoffs"?

6. matte

matte Senior Member

7. matte

matte Senior Member

8. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

Yes, in fact, to both of your questions. Even Leo Fender made knockoffs of his Fender instruments. Improvments or not, a knockoff is a knockoff. What's so cool is how good the earliest Fenders were. Leo got it right the first time. A lot of people have made good livings off those early Fender Designs.

You snipped off part of my quote. I added some pleasantries to show respect. But you snipped them off when you quoted me.

Choice.

9. XKnight

XKnight Member

I'm having a hard time grasping how Leo Fender could make knock offs of his own design, but of course you're entitled to your opinion and thanks for responding.

As for snipping off the rest of your quote, yes it was by choice as I was only addressing the part I quoted.

10. rreiser

rreiser Supporting Member

I love my Mojo Deluxe .

11. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

I can't comment on Ruokangas. I can talk about Suhr. I own three. I'm a fan. Outstanding guitars in every respect, particularly John's T's. Having said that, you need to pick a up a few and try them for yourself. The experience of playing any guitar is ineffable; no written recommendation, no matter how eloquent, can reveal the better guitar for you. You've got to pick them up and play to know. That's what I did. I searched for a long while. I must have tried three or four dozen Tele's, Fender and G&L included. One day I picked up a certain Suhr Classic T. At that very moment I knew I'd found my Tele.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure! :YinYang

12. greeny

greeny Member

I'm also a fan of Suhr and own a T style Suhr Guitar. Never heard or seen a Ruokangas guitar so can't really comment. But I bought the Suhr over probably hundreds of other T style guitars I tried.

As for Knockoffs. Yes I agree that the Suhr is a Knockoff of a telecaster, all be it beter in almost all respects (IMO). Just becasue a copy is better that the original doesn't mean it's not a copy.

As for Leo making copies, not so sure on this one, given he designed the thing and it was his company it's a difficult one. Also who owns what as far as body shape trademarks, trade dress etc is all a bit confusing. I would certainly think Leo would have a case to make a guitar he designed, but even that wouldn't be cut and dried. Someone that just happened to work in the custom shop on original instruments should have no more right to make a copy than I have IMO.

13. KRosser

KRosser Member

I've played both extensively and didn't really care for either.

I would go with Grosh, Vinetto, G&L, D'Pergo or Fender first - all capable of making a first-rate Tele-type instrument in a variety of price ranges.

I haven't played a Linhof but I'd like to.

14. SebiX

SebiX Member

Go for Ruokangas! These are by far the best Tele-style guitars you can buy for money...

15. SebiX

SebiX Member

Here are some pics of some Ruokangas Mojos we´ve sold last year:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. matte

matte Senior Member

the linhofs sound extraordinary and feel so comfy/broken in. j black's work is exceptional.

17. KRosser

KRosser Member

Yeah, I hope to rectify that one day.