Telecaster users - do you bend the switch?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by LaXu, Jul 6, 2006.

1. LaXu

LaXu Member

A few months ago I acquired a Yamaha Pacifica 1511, which is a variant of the Telecaster. While I love it's tone and playability, one thing bothers me: the pickup selector switch is not very easy to use. It's very close to the volume pot so not only is it hard to move from the bridge position I also tend to accidentally hit the volume knob while doing so.

So I've been thinking of bending the switch so it leans towards the bridge or towards the body edge. Not sure which way would be better though. Do any of you tele owners do this?

Also, since the Fender-style 3-way switch is a bit fiddly to use, are there tele control plates available that have a hole for a Gibson-style 3-way switch?

Obligatory pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. fatback

fatback Member

Nice looking guitar!

By hard to move, do you mean that the switch is stiff? If so you could try to switch out the spring in the switch or just install a new one.

I avoid the problem of accidentally hitting the 3-way switch by flipping the control layout on my teles. This also makes tone and volume swells easier to reach. Personally, I'm no fan of the bent switch approach.

[​IMG]

cheers.

3. LaXu

LaXu Member

No the switch isn't really stiff, I just have a hard time grabbing it when it's in the bridge position because it's so close to the volume pot. It's easy to switch quickly when in the neck or middle position but in the bridge pos. there's not enough space to get my fingers around the switch quickly deu to the volume pot being in the way. I never hit it accidentally.

I prefer Gibson style 3-way switches because they have such a small travel from one position to another.

4. Bruce O'D

Bruce O'D Member

Danny Gatton bent his down, away from the strings, just for that reason. Here's a pic of prototype #1 of his signature Tele:

[​IMG]

5. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

6. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

i never though of bending the switch...i just put up with it. i tried a buddy's tele once that had the plate turned around and i didnt like how far the switch was...maybe i should try it and see it i get used to it...volume swells would definately be easier, thats for sure...

7. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

Iwas going to reverse mine for the same reasons but my Tone pot was too big for the pocket (300k) at the end of the pocket and I had to keep it as is.

The way I have it though is with the Push/pull Volume knob in the back so at least I don't bump that and close the tap.

8. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

+1 for me and my Tele.

9. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Never tried bending the switch but seem to get along fine the way it is.

10. stucker

stucker Member

Why don't you try using a different switch tip. My Grosh Tele has the flatter profile switch. From the front it ressembles a "top hat" with a wide "brim" underneath. I think It's easier to grab than the barrel shaped switch.

Fender may have started using these on the 1960's Teles.

Scott

11. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

I did one for mine out of pickguard material when I routed a cream/black/cream guard . Used the original metal doublestick carpet taped to it for a template and just put copper tape on the off side . If I do another one I'll put the switch in the middle . Also much preferred a Strat tip on the regular tele switch with a slight bend away from the strings .

[​IMG]

12. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I did mine relatively similar- a Switchcraft toggle going up and down. I just drilled out the plate for the switch. The slot for the slide switch is still visible. It works so much better for me than the slide switch.

13. straightblues

straightblues Member

I have been bending mine for years. I do it on all of my teles. No problems and it just works easier for me.

14. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

Try this, it works for me--

Hold your index and middle fingers together and pointed straight, parallel to the top of the guitar. Drop your hand onto the top of the switch so that your middle finger sits on the top of switch and the volume knob, kind of between the two. The angle of the top of the switch tip creates a little pocket that your finger fits into. Then move the switch to the middle or neck position. You don't have to grab the switch, just exert enough pressure on the switch to let you move it. Having the index finger there gives you more control to either stop in the middle or go on to the neck position. Unless the switch is stiff it should move easily and quickly. It's really simple, I made it sound more complicated than it actually is. Might work a little better with the longer style tip.

15. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

I've had a couple teles with reverse plates on them. I'm to used to the standard lay out. No bending or reversing for me.

16. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

+1... It feels weird now to play a Tele without a bent switch!

17. TeleTubby

TeleTubby Supporting Member

I bend it- feels easier and more comfortable to me now. Been thinking about bending the switch tip up- anyone try that?

18. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

The only thing I do to a Tele switch, is when they're new, I stretch the spring a little bit. Not enough to see it. Just enough for the switch to flip from position to position with less effort. Makes it feel like an older switch.

I have to remove the spring from the switch do do it, and I use a couple long nose pliers to stretch it. And it's never much fun getting the spring back on the switch.

But I've never bent a switch. It's pretty much right where I want it.

19. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

I don't like bent switches (equally an aesthetic choice as a practical one for me).

I've tried the reverse layout and dislike it also. Reverse works well for me with a Gibson-style toggle.

[​IMG]

20. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

The one I'm finishing right now has this arrangement on a brass control plate.