Telecaster wiring 201: tone circuit mod

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Lolaviola, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I am looking for an easy way to remove the rhythm p/u from the tone circuit (permanently) from a standard 2-p/u tele with standard controls. I know it HAS to be simple, (move a wire) but before I go poking around under the hood, can anybody enlighten me? Ta.
    L/V

2. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

I just did it to my tele as well. Its real easy. Unsolder the short wire that connects the vol pot to the tone pot (should be on the outside lugs). Then connect a longer wire from the same tone pot outside lug and run it to the lug on the switch that is connected to the bridge pickup hot lead (usually white). This removes the tone pot from the neck pickup in all settings. The tone pot will only affect the bridge pickup, in the bridge only and middle positions. Hope that helps.

3. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    Interesting -- what affect does doing this have on the neck pickup?

4. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

Why not just buy a "no load" tone pot?

5. CiceroTJones

CiceroTJones Member

Because to effect the bridge pickup, you would still have to effect the neck pickup. He wants to be able to change the tone of the bridge without affecting the neck.

6. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Yeah, exactly.
    I have a hummer in the neck, and I always have to grab the tone pot when switching. I adjust the amp so the bridge sounds "fat" and this makes the neck too dark. I like the tone rolled off a bit on the rhythm for one sound, and a bit more for another sound. I almost never need the tone any bassier on the rhythm p/u.
    Thanks

7. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

Ah, got it.