• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Telecaster with full rosewood neck?

afterosmosis

In my mind this is combination makes sense, the bright twangy nature of a typical tele body/bridge/pickup combination with the fuller, warmer tone of a rosewood neck. Does that translate to the real world? How does a tele (let's say alder body, for example) with a rosewood neck sound compared to one with a maple/rosewood or maple/maple neck?

Also, feel free to post photos if you have such a beast, I'd like to see how it looks.

gunnar1104

I'd like to know the answer to this too. I love the feel and tone of solid rosewood necks, but have never tried one on a tele before.

Dashface

Harrison rosewood tele, anyone? :D

I guess that doesn't technically have an alder body or anything.

benjammin420

yeah, i can picture his tone with that guitar (one after 909) but its hard to judge how a guitar sounds without playing one yourself

XKnight

I have an all Rosewood Tele like Harrison's and it's a much warmer and beefier tone than a typical Ash/Maple Tele, but it still sounds like a Tele if that makes sense.

baimun

Rosewood neck... Ash body. Fender bridge... aftermarket compensated brass saddles.

I don't play country, so I had no use for anything that twangy... but I'm a big fan of the Police and Prince, and found the "jangley" and "funky" sounds that a tele could bring relatively appealing.

After trying several Teles and Esquires, I ended up with this one and it's my favorite of all of them I tried... even the $7,500 Jeff Beck Esquire that inspired these contours.

The rosewood doesn't make the guitar dark... it just increases the sustain and curls off the ice-pick top end. Guitar literally rings like a bell.

To add one more level of versatility, I replaced the Fender bridge pickup with a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound Tele Lead pickup. It's over wound for that big fat P-90-ish overdrive sound (still single coil) but has a coil cut that reduces the single coil pickup to a more vintage wind single coil.

When cut it sounds much more like the stock tele pickup, but I use the overwound setting the most. It's not quite as thick or growly as a humbucker, but it can go toe to toe with one.

afterosmosis

Thanks for all the comments so far, very very helpful. I've never played a rosewood neck and am considering one for my tele parts build. It's an alder body with a Glendale bridge w/ brass saddles. I'm going to start out with the DiMarzio Area T pickups. baimun, that's a phenomenal looking example of an Esquire you've got there!

DustBusterB

Silver Supporting Member
I'd like to know the answer to this too. I love the feel and tone of solid rosewood necks, but have never tried one on a tele before.
Me too. I was just pricing out a Warmoth neck in rosewood to go with my Warmoth white korina Tele body. It currently has a Peavey all maple neck on it and sounds great, but the neck needs a re-fret. I really really want a rosewood neck for it!!!

baimun

I don't currently have any soundclips... but I'll see if I can't record some soon...

... I've got a super-strat on the way with a rosewood neck and mahogany body. I'm planning on transplanting the humbucker in a Charvel and putting a combination of Quarter Pound pickups in all three strat positions.... so I can use a regular strat 5 way and switch all three pickups from overwound to vintage. :)

Dustbuster..... Rosewood neck with a Korina body would be killer.

I've got a luthier build that's based on PRS dimensions that's all black limba (korina).

baimun

In theory, it's still a single coil and should hum... but my rig doesn't really hum much at all (Orange Rockerverb, Mesa Cabinet, Visual Sounds H20, MXR Phaser and Morley power wah). I think the Duncan Alnico Pro II's are noisier. Maybe the metal from the tele bridge shields it some.

I'll let you know after the super strat gets here and I can A/B them. If I have to, I'll get a metal pickguard instead of a plastic one.

Trending Topics