Telecasters with Three Pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by LittleFeat, Nov 27, 2005.

1. LittleFeat

LittleFeat Guest

Could anyone tell me a bit about Teles with three pickups? I just bought a nice 60s reissue tele and my friend says he is going to buy a tele with three pickups because they are better (he says it mostly just to piss me off I think). I looked a little on ebay and google but didnt find more than one or two examples of them. So, if anyone has any info on them I would really like to hear it.

2. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

All the three pickup Telecasters that I've played I've enjoyed! I still just own the basic neck & bridge and I do prefer this arrangement but if I didn't own a Strat and needed the extra positions then I'd have no hesitation routing out a spot for another pickup. However, getting the best telecaster bridge pickup would be my main objective because that's where the magic of those guitars live. And the best bridge pickups are very versatile and capable of lots of colors.

Your guitar is fine but the beauty of these instruments is how easy they are to mess around and experiment with pickup changes, electronic changes, bridge changes, saddle changes, etc.

Have fun and spend time dialing in good tones on the bridge pickup! If they aren't there try another pickup! :D

3. axpro

axpro Member

3 pickups, kind of hits that "strat" zone, but stilla tele... I dunno, the ones i tried had 5 way switches, but left out the neck+bridge combo and the Neck+bridge in series mod i like... maybe a 3 pickup with a wd 4 way tele switch, and the middle pickup on a push/pullpot...

Nah, I'll just switch guitars....

Dave Mc

4. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Both are great, I love the 3 pickup config in a Tele... More options is always good as long as its done correctly.

Definately gives you that strat/tele hybrid thang. Both Anderson and Suhr have beautiful ones, in fact I think there was a killer Suhr 3 pickup Tele in the buy and sell section.
    Depends what your looking for. I tend to like the 2 & 4 position sounds so it usually works well for me. I am also getting a traditional two pickup Tele. Options=good :dude

5. frankthomson

frankthomson Member

they're called *Nashville* style, and i think, besides the 52 and nocaster & esquire, all teles should be made this way. 5-way switch rules.

just pick up a fender nash tele used (3-400$), change the pups to US (if keeping any, i'd just keep the stock br pup), and close the book!....EXCELLENT GUITAR. (it's also the deluxe series MIM)..

...jmo

also try, and i mean try, to find a G&L ASAT III....3 strat pups on a tele...i have one and its yummy.

6. mainsale

mainsale Member

Nope...not for me. If I want Strat tones I play a strat. If I want Tele..I play a Tele, preferably with 4-way switching. I've never heard a three pickup Tele that sounded like a Tele, especially one with good pickups and 4-way switching.

7. c0ldfuse

c0ldfuse Guest

I have a 97 tele deluxe plus, and it doesn't sound like a 'classic' tele, though I love its original sound.

8. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

I would like a middle pickup but I am really scared that the extra routing will change the present sound which I really love. Anybody have an details on what I could expect.

9. Wes_k

Wes_k Member

I own the MIM deluxe nashville, its currently in the shop having a gibson p90 installed in the neck :)....how expensive would it be to make the mod to a 4 way and push pull pot??? Can it be easily done???

...the only downside to the guitar is not having the bridge and neck on simultaniously....any info on making that mod would be awesome....

10. Chris

Chris Member

While I'm not questioning your experiences/opinion, I am having a hard time seeing how that statement could be true across the board.

If you're comparing two teles, both are exactly the same, both have the same pickups, how much difference could adding one more pickup make? All that changes is the routing (not a real big hole) and maybe the wiring/switching (I'm guessing you could make that the same).

So for e.g., I'm thinking that the neck position in the 3-pup version should sound pretty much exactly like the neck position in the 2-pup version, minus whatever effect the routing has.

How much effect can the routing have?

Are there any other variables that would make for an appreciable difference in sound?

11. The Eristic

The Eristic Member

http://image30.webshots.com/31/5/67/35/228456735uGYThm_ph.jpg

J-Craft Thinline Special. UNREAL chime in the middle position (N + B). I think about removing the middle pickup sometimes, but the M + B combo with two tele pickups (versus two strat pickups) is a pretty useful and unique variation of the sound.

12. axpro

axpro Member

It isn't that hard of a mod to do, WD makes a 4 way switch that goes BRIDGE-BRIDGE+NECK(parallel)-NECK-BRIDGE+NECK(series)

I love that switch... as for the middle pickup, just run it to a push /pull on the tone pot, adding it in directly to the master volume when engaged. SHould be able to get all the cool tele sounds, and still have those cool stratty mid positions.

All that being said, itwoudl still be time at the shop (unless you do it yourself) so if you aren't doing it yourself, get a quote before deciding it is the thing to do!

Dave Mc

13. Wes_k

Wes_k Member

I came across this on ebay...its just a simple toggle switch added between the tone and volume pots...this is what i was oriniginally thinking of doing...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Fender-Telecaste...ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

this would enable me to keep my existing switch installed...but how would the toggle work and how would it be wired??? perhaps this would be easier than replacing an entire switch and pot..would it have the same results??

14. Wes_k

Wes_k Member

15. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Maybe you haven't heard enough teles. :D I've had plenty of 3 pickup teles. They sound just like my 2 pickup teles if the middle is switched out.

I like strat tones with tele bridge tones. I don't care for strat bridge tone much at all on most strats. Lowell George solved the problem by putting a tele bridge pickup in a strat. Tele players solve the problem by putting strat pickups in the middle and/or neck. Neither is identical but both are perfectly useable and good sounding, just different.

My favorite setup is a blend pot for the middle pickup with a standard 3-way switch. You not only get *all* the stock tele tones, but you also get all strat settings (except middle only), plus you get the ability to have all 3 pickups on and the ability to add just a bit of "quack" to the bridge or neck. That gives you a total of 7 distinctly different tones, plus variations if you blend. Very versatile and easy to use.

On the other hand, I've never heard a 4-way that I liked. I've tried a couple of times and always took it out. Too dramatic a change in tone and output for my taste. I could never get an amp to set up properly for both output levels. YMMV of course.;)

16. shuffle

shuffle Member

although i've never tried one - they don't particularly interest me.

I love a tele bridge sound and i love a tele neck sound... thats all im after.

Cheers

17. frankthomson

frankthomson Member

BINGO.

=========================================

^^^ and i don't understand that statement at all^^^:confused:

how does a 5 way switch affect the sound of a pickup?!? you must be talking about the N-B middle position?
    sorry, i'm confused. ........no slam intended.

===================================

re;nash.....i like replacing the neck and middle w/ USA standard pups. you get a real crisp sound. fwiw, i also only put Fender pups in a Fender....call me whatever you want.

18. Waynet

Waynet Guest

My first reaction would be the Fender Nashville Tele. I have a James Burton Fender Tele with three pickups and a 5 way switch that works like the Strat 5 way. The original owner swapped out the Lace Sensors for EMG's. I just got it a few months ago and it looks like this.

[​IMG][/IMG]

19. haml

haml Member

20. frankthomson

frankthomson Member

haml..i cant get that link to work (maybe my old PC) 8(

waynet...nice axe....i didnt think the usa JBs came in solid red..??, i've only seen the paiseleys and the solid white