Telefunken 12ax7 score?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by MrMedley, Feb 3, 2012.

1. MrMedley

MrMedley Member

Hey guys,

Just won an auction on eBay for a 'lightly used' vintage telefunken 12ax7.

I was on a quest looking for a nice tube to put in the V1 of my Fargen Blackbird. Looking for an RCA initially, I ran across this telefunken and ended up winnning the auction at $33. It has the diamond telefunken logo intact on the tube.

Is this a reasonable price? Is it comparable to a NOS or aNOS RCA for a fender type amp?

Any input would be appreciated!

2. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

That.s as reasonable price. Tele's are hifi sounding

3. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

As far as im aware, if you scratch at the label and it comes off, its real. and in that case, great tube! i use them in my Vox.

4. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

C'mon - that's not a real test. Think about it... there are lots of paints that can flake off glass. It is true that if the paint does not easily rub off, then you most certainly don't have a real Telefunken.

Here's something permanent that cannot be faked:
    [​IMG]

Look for that "diamond" embossed on the bottom glass for a more reliable i.d. Also check out the getter wire, which is thicker looking than most.

$33 is a decent price, if the tube works well. And no, these don't sound like RCA. But you may happen to like the unique upper-mid emphasis of the Telefunken smooth plate (or is yours the brighter-sounding ribbed-plate version?).

Plug it in, check it out, hope you like it.

- Thom

5. guitarcapo

guitarcapo Senior Member

$33 for a tube...and we were thankful to get it, kids.

6. cap47

cap47 Member

Nice chimey tube!

7. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

I got about 6 Telefunken tubes, and they all have the triangle at the base, bar one!!!

8. Gear-Junkie

Gear-Junkie Supporting Member

Better have it tested as soon as you get it. There are numerous "lightly used" tubes being sold on ebay that are questionable to say the least.

9. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

agreed

10. MrMedley

MrMedley Member

how much do testers run? Or should I take it to someone? Also, a friend told me NOS tubes are great in the PI slot. Would this be considered a good PI?

11. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Why rely on opinions, which vary widely, when you can find out for yourself in 20 seconds? Try it everywhere.

12. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

I got a fake Tele on the bay. No diamond, paint flaked off. And it sounded like poo poo.

My drummer has a TON of old amps, projects, and tubes laying around (didn't know this, but it was pretty funny when I brought the fake Tele to rehearsal and the DRUMMER said "hey, is that an old Telefunken?")

He brought a few for me to try out, but I didn't really bond with them. I think they're better suited for mic pres.

13. metako

metako Member

I cleaned some NOS tubes with methylated spirits and rubbed all the white lettering off!!! Thanks for the tip re trademark on the base.

14. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Not sure if I've ever seen any without the diamond on the base but there's an even more conclusive feature. The shape of the getter ring where it's joined to the post. Completely unique.

15. guiltless

guiltless Member

I just picked up a pair of smooth plates on evilbay for $50. I may have bid against you on that single. It's a risk. If they aren't real I can always return them as they are sold as real, working tubes.

16. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

I wouldn't pay 33$ for a tired old 12AX7 at gunpoint. And you have to assume the tubes are tired and old because the vast majority are.

17. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Maybe (but definitely not necessarily), but what if it's not? There are 10s of 1000s of tubes that have been in equipment that hasn't been used more than 100 hours. Are tubes that have been used for 1/10th of their life span, or less, old and tired? Testing gives a pretty good indication.

As always, generalizations are not very useful.

18. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

I'm with you. Lately I've been pulling a LOT of good tubes with plenty of life left from old reel to reel recorders. I just bought a handful (of complete recorders) for $15 each. Inside were a bunch of Amperex, GE, and RCA tubes that test very strong.