Telefunken....smooth vs. ribbed plates

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Occam, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Occam

Occam Member

What the difference here (sonically and anything else)?

2. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

i own both I have a pretty good ear for tube changes in both my stereos and git amps. I dont hear a difference. smoothies are less in number so im gonna say in MY opinion, its a cork sniffer type thing

3. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I had booth at one time and to be honest I didn't like them in any of the amps I ever put them in. I don't remember a big difference but I preferred the smooth plate, mostly because your supposed to prefer it.

They sound nice and clear but don't seem to add anything which made me want to leave them in the amp, i.e. harmonics etc... I think they would better suited for stereo.

4. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

Like the genetic diversity among and between people of European orign and people of African origin, there is more difference within populations of smooth plates and ribbed plates than between them. IME, natch.

5. nek

nek Member

Smooth are older than ribbed. Smooth are harder to find. Is older always better? To be honest, my first impressions agreed with the rest of this thread. As time marches on, I find myself forming new opinions, right or wrong, differences subtle or imagined. Smooth are open, clear, neutral. Ribbed are less brilliant and sustain a little more, can be microphonic with high voltage guitar amp supplies. I do agree with Rico that more than one sample of each is necessary to make a useful comparison. In the long run, musicality depends on the player, not the amp or the tubes in the amp, right?

6. BobboVisMe

BobboVisMe Member

I might get called a cork sniffer here .. but ... smooth plates imho have a creamier tone that ribbed plates .. In A/B tests on my Marshall 50 watt .. I sell NOS tubes from time to time and have tried every brand of 12ax7 .. literally !!

7. 59Vampire

I have both smooth and ribbed plats that date to 1961 as they came in audiophile gear my father purchased that year/ Smoothies in the scott apreamp and ribbed in the viking reel to reel. The only way to quantify any kind of audible difference is use expenmsive curve tacing equipment like Upscale audio. Im gonna stick to my statement as in guitar amps there is no auduble difference. For what its worth they were tested in both BF deluxes and vibroluxes, tweed deluxes, marshall 18 watters and a buddies non master 50 watt head.

8. nek

nek Member

So just for fun... Here are two takes. The only difference being V1 switched between a flat plate tele and a ribbed plate tele. Everything else is the same. Including the player and questionable intonation (sorry). Can you hear a difference?
    http://home.comcast.net/~k.drottar/teles.mp3

9. CPA

CPA Member

to my ears the first seems brighter and chimey but it could be the way it is being played. The second seems more darker and less chimey. But what do I know?

10. 59Vampire

hmmm! interswting. for what its worth i enjoyed the little ditty being played. i also thought segment 2 was more pleasing to my ears. So i guess this means i prefer ribbed plates. Anyone want to buy a boatload of smoothies ??? LOL

11. BobboVisMe

BobboVisMe Member

OK ...Clip 1 is smooth plates and .. clip 2 is ribbed plates .. smoothies are more chimey and complex !!!! If i'm wrong I'll eat my hat !!

12. Occam

Occam Member

Thanks for the clips! They were pretty close but I liked the chimeyness of the first or at least think that it'll work better with what I'm looking for. Could I possibly bug you for a clip of them distorting and working hard?

13. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

a lot of people have been unhappy with Telefunkens in V1 and V2 but most agree that they excell as a tube for the effects loop.

stratzrus

14. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

I'm WILLIN' to say the first does sound a bit better to my ears. I'll guess smooth? I just had to replace one of those in my MC240, ran me about $75 for a smoothie.