Telenordia TK-23 KOMPRESSOR

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Enjoyer, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Okay . . .
    I have a Keeley 2 knobber and perhaps, I just don't get compressors, or perhaps I don't need one. Too much squish for me, even at conservative settings. That said, I have still been most curious about (thanks to you lot):
    BJFE Pine Geen Comp
    Barber Comp
    Jangle Box

and then comes this one:

http://www.telenordia.de/en/products_tk_23.php

THe telenordia TK-23.

Haven't heard any hype around here about these. The Telenordia line impresses me. Anyone have one? If so, what do you think?
    Thanks in advance for your open and honest assessments.
    All the very best,
    Enjoyer

2. SkipTracer

SkipTracer Member

I loved it, and I'm not even a compressor guy.

The TK-23 and three other Telenordia pedals are currently being shipped around Europe in a tour box:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=334121

3. mild

mild Member

Went from a Keeley 2 knobber, to a BJF PGC, to a TK-23.

The BJF was the sweetest "squisher". Made everything sound very hi-fi, very rich.

The TK-23 was my favourite due to its clean blend. It imparts something quite amazing with its compression characteristic - it sustains everything like your keeley will, so the end result sounds like a nicely compressed signal should - but it doesn't get in the way of your sound or your playing whilst doing so. I guess its kinda like turning your amp up and getting the compression that way - it still sounds really natural, and blooms properly. That's the best I can describe it.

Matthias is great quality, and builds really great pedals. I don't think you can go wrong on this one. Just be ready for the reversed-polarity style power jacks, like the old school fuzzes. That's germanium for you, I guess.

4. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Thanks, SkipTracer and Jono.
    Sounds impressive.

5. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I have a newer version of the TK-23 on the way to me from Matt.

This one has a push pull knob to give you extra squeeze if you want that really clucky thing and a few different aesthetic touches.

If it's anything like as good as my custom TA-100 it should be interesting.

6. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Just reporting in to say that the TK-23 is everything I've hoped for and more.

I've had pedal compressors in the past but they've either been too squeezy (Boss, MXR) or in the case of the BJF actually too subtle.

The TK-23 is a really interesting comp being opto but germanium. From a compression point of view being opto and having a dry feed control it doesn't kill your dynamics but being germanium it adds richness and warmth.

The TK-23 provides the sort of "lift" that I'd only heard in the best of discrete and valve studio outboard compressors and quite frankly had given up finding in a pedal.

To me what the Telenordia stuff does is never really transparent but it has this really classic character much in the same way that say a Neve desk or great outboard does.

7. blueprint

blueprint Member

I have a Komp on the way too.
    I've tried it during the tourbox and I have been very impressed by this pedal.
    I had the Keeley and sold it for an Analogman Bicomp which I still have, but the TK is in another ballpark.
    No more squish, but sustain and dynamics, and more surprisingly, no noise.
    Comps tends to be hiss factories, this one is not.
    Can be considered expensive, but it's head and shoulders above everything I've tried up to now.

8. woude

woude Member

anyone compared it to a diamond compressor? What's the difference & which one did you like better?

9. Six Strings

Six Strings Member

I've heard from the guys at Vintage and Rare Guitars in London (when I was lucky enough to be over there on a trip) that the Telenordia is amazing, so amazing it was out of stock and thus I did not get to try it. It sounds as though it is very dynamic and subtle. BTW they also say that their tremolo is the best they have ever heard, calling it a "vintage Fender tremolo in a box."

I am currently using a VERY disappointing Boss CS-3 and want to upgrade. I've ordered the Monte Allums mod kit for it since it is an inexpensive thing to try and give it some life. But I like the sound of the Telenordia.