Tele's; Ash vs. Alder?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kodecar, Jun 19, 2008.

1. kodecar

kodecar Member

I need a Tele (type) guitar and have always assumed that I would get one made of swamp ash but, there is a really sweet one that I have my eye on that has an alder body.

Pretty simple question really. Which do you like and why? Would I be missing something?

2. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

I know that this isn't much help, but from my experience it just depends on the guitar. I have tried and owned both, but there have been more that were ash that I liked than alder.

3. EelEye

EelEye Gold Supporting Member

I've had lots of both. A super-light ash is nice (I have one Tele that weighs 6.4 pounds...), but I really wouldn't bother with ash it is over 7 pounds. Ash gives a very scooped (low mids) type sound.

I think I may actually prefer the sound of alder, as it is a fuller sound with lots of bass and strong mids.

4. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

To my ears, a Tele should have an ash body and a maple fingerboard to bring out what the Tele sound is all about...but I prefer an Esquire over a Tele any day, but that's another thread. IMHO, alder and rosewood belong in the Strat family...but it's your ears that need satisfied ;).

5. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Alder rosewood is my personal flavor. I like the warmer tone and brings about a fullness to the pickups. Ash is nice for the twang with low output pickups. Depends on what type of music you want to play. Alder/rosewood or alder maple for a snappier sound are also nice. Get one of each!:)

6. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

Ash-blonde finish
    Alder-solid colors