Tele's... Experience with Graphtech Saddles???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rawkguitarist, Sep 7, 2005.

1. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I have a new AM Std tele (finally added to my arsenal). I play pretty hard and have Graphtechs on my McCarty and Custom 22 PRS's. I'm a little nervous gigging this week without the string savers, without a backup behind me. With my PRS's I can show up with only one guitar.

Has anyone used regular String Savers with their Am Std tele? Did you have any grounding loop problems? I've heard this can be a problem. The new Fera Glides are supposed to solve this problem, but I'd like the regular String Savers.

Any help?? Thanks!

2. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

3. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

Not exactly helpful, but I have the string savers on my strat and enver had a grounding problem. I have the Tusq IOS saddles on my tele and same thing...no grounding problem.

On this tele, I use a Dimarzio VV Hot T, ( no base plate ) so I ran a ground wire from the pot to under the bridge. As long as you have that ground there, I don't think you're going to have any problems.

Does your American Standard have a base plate on the bridge pup?

4. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Thanks for the reply! I'm not sure what that means, about the base plate. And I've not taken it apart yet. So you ran a ground wire form the volume pot, to the bridge??

5. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Bumping to resurect this thread...

I just ordered some normal Graphtech String Savers (not the steal Feraglide ones) for my Am Std tele. Hoping to not have any ground loop problems. Anyone use these that ALSO use non-noise canceling pickups.

Thanks

6. mainsale

mainsale Member

I've got soem sitting in a box waiting to go on to a "72 RI. I'll let you know how they work out when I get them on.

7. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I suspect that there are very few Tele's on which the the strings cleanly exit the body holes without contacting the bridge plate, at least on half the strings, eh?

I would like to know how they sound.

8. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

"I suspect that there are very few Tele's on which the the strings cleanly exit the body holes without contacting the bridge plate, at least on half the strings, eh?"

Great insight! I just looked at my bridge plate and the strings all firmly touch it. Thanks!

I'll let you guy's know how they sound. I should have them in a few days.

9. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

I liked them in my old Tele, but it was a three-saddle bridge. I sold the guitar and I have Teles with the traditional bridge, not the plate you have. the American series saddles are notorious for breaking strings so I'd put them on as soon as you can. The difference in tone is minimal. The American Series don't really have traditional Tele tone anyway, so that shouldn't be a serious issue. the String savers in that configuration are a very good choice.

10. LTE

LTE Member

I put some on a Mexican Tele I use to own and it did add more pop or bite if you will to the overall sound.

Not sure if I would ever buy another set again. Maybe just a high quality saddle next time.

11. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

OK guy's, put the String Savers on last night (the guitar is actually sitting next to me at work...). No change in hum... it was already bad, but not horrible. The tone is still standard bitey tele, just what I want!! Now I'm not afraid to gig for a full weekend with it. Maybe Eric Johnson could tell a real tone difference, but I cant.

Now I need to buy some Dimarzio Virtual Vintage pickups... I'll post some picks and maybe some sound bites when I'm done.