1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Teles - Will a single coil fit in a neck HB route??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by b2sc, Jan 14, 2006.

1. b2sc

b2sc Member

I'm looking at buying a Warmoth Tele that currently has a humbucker installed at the neck position. The warmoth body does'nt have a swimming pool route, just the one for the standard humbucker.

I'd like to replace the humbucker w/a boutique single coil Tele pickup. Will the Tele pickup just drop right in the HB route or would there be more routing required? Do Tele neck pickups typically have baseplates, I forget...?

I'm hoping that I can align the pickup using a new pickguard and then just sink the screws into the wood.

Anyone? TIA.
    Brian

2. b2sc

b2sc Member

OTM, thnx for the reply.

I realize the pickup screws directly to the body. Typically the neck pickup still sits in a route. If the HB route does not let the single coil pickup sit flush to the body (the HB route may be too short overall and the ear of the single coil gets hung up), then it won't work...

Just looking for some confirmation, not assumptions or guesses.

Thanks.

3. b2sc

b2sc Member

Yes, I realize a single coil pickup will fit within a single coil route. Thanks.

But does the Fender single coil fit within a dual coil humbucking pickup route... that is the question...

4. b2sc

b2sc Member

Hehehe,, The third time is the charm. Thanks so much. :BEER