Teles with HB/SC combo ... pot values?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by nb_fan, Apr 22, 2008.

1. nb_fan

nb_fan Member

I'm just curious what they do with Teles that have an HB in the neck and SCs in the bridge that share the same volume and tone pots. Do they use 500Ks for those?

Do Keith Richards, Albert collins, etc. all do that as well?

2. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I don't know about teles, but Fender always uses 250K with their strats, no matter the pickups.

3. Tweedledee

Tweedledee Member

I've modded a few Teles with mini-humbuckers in the neck and I always end up swapping at least the volume pot for a 500k one, and sometimes I swap both pots with 500k ones. It does make the bridge pup a bit more "ice-picky" depending on which pickup you have in there, but it's easy to knock that out of there by slightly turning down the tone control. It's definitely a bit of a trade off, but a muddy neck 'bucker is worthless.

4. Ryguy

Ryguy Member

I have a tele with a mini-bucker in the neck, and even though it is a bright pickup overall, it really needs the 500k volume pot to open it up. I actually have 500k volume and tone pots, but am not sure how much of a difference they tone pot makes in that regard. That did leave my bridge pup to shrill for my taste, so I just put a 500k resistor in parallel on the bridge pickup, so the guitar sees 250 when the bridge pickup, or bridge middle is activated. Works like a charm.

5. Al Nico

Al Nico Member

I've done something similar, except with a 0.05 uF cap in series with a 500K or 1M resistor, to take the treble edge off the bridge.