Teles with humbuckers in the neck

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by slimdave, Oct 14, 2015.

1. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

I never thought I'd care for a Tele with a neck HB until I played the one shown in the video below (which features someone who's not me). Whoa - totally opened my ears to new possibilities. Those are JT's stock pickups, and he picked out a perfect match.

Serenity likes this.
  2. Dave Weir

Dave Weir Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    I tried several different neck pickups over the years before settling on this Kent Armstrong mini. The original bridge finally gave up so I installed the Bill Lawrence. This still has the 1965 wiring and I always wonder, with all the other mods, if I should just change it to a modern set up. Right now it is wired backwards, so neck, bridge, dark bridge. Of coarse, it is strung backwards also.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  3. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

Me too, in a Road Worn I also pot in a Tonestyler 5-way switch, and 2 switchable pots.(250),(500). So. Have Fralin Blues(Bridge),bridge and humbucker, bridge and split Unbucker, Unbucker, and Humbucker. Lot of tonal options, it's 6lbs.

4. RJLII

RJLII Member

Nice looking guitar! Quartersawn body?

5. guitargeezer

guitargeezer Silver Supporting Member

As I noted earlier, I have Texas Specials in my Burton Tele. If I were to swap the neck pup for a '59, Seth Lover or Antiquity, would the TS in the bridge match up well enough, or would something like a Nocaster bridge be an improvement?

6. Dave Weir

Dave Weir Gold Supporting Member

Yes. I think it's 3 or 4 pieces, but really hard to see the seams except on the end grain. There are remnants of the original blonde paint under the pick guard, but it had been stripped when I bought it in the mid 70's.

7. thebard42

thebard42 Supporting Member

I have that bridge pickup in mine too, they are a great pair.

I have a Toneshaper in mine, I wanted to play with the cap values on the tone pot. I think in the future I would have a 3-way switch with a push-pull pot for the split, sometimes it is hard to be accurate when changing across 5 positions.

8. StuRdesign

StuRdesign Member

John Birch custom Superflux pickup at the neck, with an SD Broadcaster in the bridge, outputs - after a bit of height adjustment is perfectly balanced by complete chance. I've also put a Fender TBX tone pot in it for added range.

[​IMG]

Silver Hand likes this.
  9. mikealpine

mikealpine Silver Supporting Member

E. Northport, NY (Long Island, not Lawn Guyland)
    I like a mini-HB in the neck. It's been working well for me.

[​IMG]

Silver Hand likes this.
  10. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

The5 way works great, and really doesn't have to be that accurate. The biggest differences are between 1 and 5. The other positions are subtle, and fun to mess with on the fly.

11. BigAl

BigAl Member

Fender Custom Shop '52 Telecaster Relic from 2005 NAMM with Duncan '59 neck and Nocaster bridge pickups (great combo as others have mentioned). Love this guitar and ten years old this year!
    [​IMG]

Silver Hand likes this.
  12. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

I like having a humbucker in the neck. I have a Mex Cabronita with fildetrons. Sweet sounding all the way!

13. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I'm having great success with a Lollar mini and a Dimarzio 615 in the bridge. Wired it up with 500K pots, and a resistor on the bridge pickup - balances out tonally and volume wise perfectly.

14. guitargeezer

guitargeezer Silver Supporting Member

I tend to lean more to AlNiCo IIs in general. Would the Antiquity, Seth Lover...or even the Pearly Gates...pair well with a Nocaster bridge?

Anybody? Bueller? Bueller?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015