tell me about a '93 jeff beck strat with lace sensors

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Derelict, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Derelict

Derelict Member

Are these good guitars? What's the neck shape, carve, thickness like? How about the pups? In general, how are fenders from that year? (1993).

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. karma1

karma1 Member

I don't know that much, but I've read that the necks are supposed to be pretty fat. People seem to either love that or hate it. I believe it has Lace Sensor pickups - I'm guessing three Golds. I'm a big fan of Lace Sensors and have been using them in my Strat for years (Silver/neck, Gold/middle, Blue/bridge).

3. mockoman

mockoman Member

Biggest neck I've ever seen...

4. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

HUGE and AWESOME neck. I thought it played and sounded great, wierd but comfy to play.

5. John C

John C Supporting Member

Actually the original Becks had 4 Gold Lace Sensors - a single neck, a single middle, and a dual in the bridge (set up like a humbucker) with a push-button switch to turn off one of the Laces in the "dual" (I believe it turns off the upper one and leaves the lower one on).

I also remember the neck being very fat - close to Nocaster size. However, it's been a long time since I tried one out.

6. Amp360

Amp360 Senior Member

The neck is huge, but not in a bad way. My room mate in my first semester of college had one.

IIRC Beck brought in a 54 Les Paul and asked them to make the neck bigger. I really liked those but a lot of people that would come by our room couldn't play it.

Great sounding guitar - different colors (his was a purple color).

7. Derelict

Derelict Member

so, probably not for smaller hands, right? i like thickness, i just don't like width; cramps my left hand. for instance, i really like the neck on a '57 les paul goldtop VOS; nice and thick and comfy.

8. jdranger

jdranger Silver Supporting Member

I had one and wish i never sold it, the neck on mine was close to my 52 Tele reissue. Didn't care for pups.

If you find you don't like it and want to sell, let me know.

JD

9. sidekick

sidekick Supporting Member

The early JB Strats had MASSIVE necks, (although Fender did reduce the size a bit) before the Lace sensor model gave way to the 2nd version with noiseless pickups and the neck pocket body re-shape. The 2nd model has a far smaller neck.

As others have said, the big neck, (despite the size) was curiously comfortable and many feel Jeff particularly wanted such a large neck because of a tendinitis problem, also a hand injury while working on his hot-rods.

The first model with the double Lace Sensor at the bridge is an interesting guitar. Probably, it was a 'Fender' thing, (rather than Jeff's request) as it made the JB Signature guitar visually different to the EC Strat. Lace Sensors work best very close to the strings and that might have put some players off.

I had one for a while... Nice guitar, but then went the 'relic' road. Very early JB Strats have the Wilkinson nut, which then gave way to the more visually pleasing LSR nut.

10. c_mac

c_mac Supporting Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4EBBPOr2no

1:30 - 2:45

11. sidekick

sidekick Supporting Member

c_mac... Thanks for the vid... ☺

Maybe the tendinitis and hand injury was at another period? Certainly, Jeff was fortunate regarding the extent of the hand injury. Apparently, it could have been a lot worse.

12. dave_fisher

dave_fisher Silver Supporting Member

I have a '94 and it has a large neck that is very comfortable, about the size of a Baker '59 profile. The Lace Gold's are great pickups and it plays like a dream! This is the first strat neck pup that I play regularly, usually I'm a position 2 and 4 lover.

Pick one up if you find one...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  13. theon

theon Silver Supporting Member

Large U shaped neck. 1 11/16" nut width 9 1/2" radius.Big but comfortable(similar to the Made in Mexico Reverse headstock strats but a bit larger).The latter version with smaller necks have a heel carve at the base of the neck.If you find an earlier version snap it up.I really liked them.I hope this helps you out!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010