Tell me about Anderson Cobra's

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by PaulS2, Sep 9, 2005.

1. PaulS2

PaulS2 Supporting Member

I've got a wonderful traditional Suhr ash tele which I'm just loving.

I want another flavor and almost ordered a mahogony one with different pickup configuration but just don't see enough of them around so got a little scared as if it didn't work out I would take a beating in resale. Also a bit tight on cash for a new one.

I've had some thoughts about Anderson Cobra's....I'm not looking for LP thick but somewhere in between what I currently have and an LP.

Am I looking in the right direction...tell me about them.

Thanks

Paul

2. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

great guitars. I had a solid Tele-style cobra that sounded a lot like a LP (with more articulation and a little less beef). I then traded for a hollow cobra S, which is my #1 gigging guitar. They sounded a lot alike, a little different due to the hollow factor, but close enough that I sold the first Cobra.

Really easy to play, with my favorite neck shape.

Only complaint I have is that the bridge pickup in my cobra S is a little too aggresive for me. I don't remember which pickup model it is.

3. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

And for the record -- I also have a Suhr Tele and I prefer anderson's fretboard and fret finishing to Suhr's - more broken-in feeling and comfortable for me.

4. pluto

pluto Member

Joe, unless Joel took out the pickup before he swapped guitars with you, your bridge pickup should be a H02. Not to go too off topic, but I found that your comment on the broken in neck feeling of Andersons vs. Suhrs was interesting since I have the opposite opinion.

5. pluto

pluto Member

I agree with Joe-Cobras are fine guitars. Not quite a LP tone even with the same woods and short scale. It's missing the thick mids and bottom chunk of a LP, but I find it easier to play and it's definitely lighter-Great guitar made by a great person.

6. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Oh yes, my guitar was Pluto's - which he sold to Joel, and then I traded my Anderson Hollow Drop Top, which I got from Pluto, to Joel for the Cobra. Then Joel sold the Drop Top --- perhaps back to Pluto?!? :)

Perhaps my Suhr is unsual, but it just doesn't have that broken-in feeling. It might be the 6105 frets - I'm not a big fan of them, I prefer a wider fret.

7. PaulS2

PaulS2 Supporting Member

My Suhr Tele has just the nicest neck I've ever played. Soft, big V with 6105 SS frets. Very broken-in feeling right out of the box.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Paul

8. pluto

pluto Member

Joe, yeah that was a funny swap! I think your Hollow Drop Top went to Joel, then to someone on the east coast and now it's with somebody in Canada!

9. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

How about one of these Anderson, with a baggs acoustic built i as well, If you can find your sound on this I don`t know.
    [​IMG]

10. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

That's got so many switches and controls, are you sure it wasn't made by Mesa????:D

11. edwarddavis

Funny you should say that, I think they test them out on their amps. I don`t own one though. HOw about this one instead , less switches , great sounds and it had a fishman power bridge for acoustic stuff but I prefer the older stle Anderson had, Don`t know why they switched to me this is much better , maybe a few more switches but well worth it. If they built a guitar with a treble control also on it like the older Parkers had or a Godin It woudl be great oh well . These are great guitars at a decent used price when yo can get one. These are not FS by the way !!!!.
    I hate to say this I owned a Cobra and that was the only Anderson I did not like. I was expecting that LP sound in a Anderson but It just did not do it for me . But in all fairness I would buy one again because I think at that time the amp I had was not so hot either. Since I am now in the wonderful world of nothings to good for me in my old age I need a great amp for my great guitars , now if I could only play great !!!!. But seriously I am sure they are real nice and I probably would get one some time. I think the H/S/H Andersons give you a great variety of sounds. If you notice I have a 3 single or stacked pickup one as well that really is a great guitar also which i would not hesitate to say buy one. Im my opinion you can go wrong with a Anderson or a Suhr . There are some great guitars I see on this site but I have never tried them. Probably all terrific but Andersons and Suhr are more avvailible ,at least in CT so so you can try one out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

I haven't played a suhr. I've played a Cobra once (hollow). I could not put it down. It was the most comfortable guitar I've ever played. Both the neck and the way it fits the body. When I built my Chapin, I tried to model my neck after the cobra. As noted, definitely in the LP realm but not quite. The split sounds are not bad as well. Definitely worth taking the time to play a few before making a decision.

cmn

13. PaulS2

PaulS2 Supporting Member

I found a great deal on a used one so figured I'd grab it...hopefully it'll do what I think it will.

14. edwarddavis

Thats the way to go you cant go wrong with Anderson in my opinion used or new they are great guitars. The only problem will be how soon can you get another one.

Have Fun and Play Loud!!!!:dude

15. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Anderson Cobra's are amazing guitars, probably the easiest playing guitar I have ever owned. You wont be disappointed.
    I ended up selling it because Im just not into humbuckers much.
    Probably will eventually get another with M series pickups in it.

Richard

16. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

I had a Cobra for awhile. It was a nice guitar. However, I couldn't get used to the neck, which had almost a soft V shape to it. I ordered it with the standard Cobra shape. This had been my complaint about Andersons in general. I had a classsic that had the Tom Anderson Standard neck shape and it also had a soft v feel to it. When you play whith your thumb behind the neck, there is a point or prominence there that is irritating to me. I have noticed this with other Andersons that I have played as well. This is only my personal preference, and had nothing to do with the quality or sound of the guitars, which were outstanding.

That aside, they are killer guitars. I keep thinking there is something wrong with me for not liking the necks. I do want to try their 62 Roundback shape.

My 2 cents.

-Mark

17. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

My favorite Anderson neck is the custom Pete Anderson version of the '62 Roundback. Basically it's a slightly undersized version of the stock '62 Roundback with a 1 5/8" nut width that matches Pete's favorite old Fender neck. I've tried most of them over the years and now I have three Andersons with this neck.

They don't advertise it much but they will make custom necks (within certain limitations) for an upcharge.

Here's a shot of my Cobra S for something a little different than the usual figured top look...

[​IMG]

It is Firemist Gold with scraped binding on a dark brown back.

18. edwarddavis

Can I barrow that Anderson for a while, ?. Boy that a great looking guitar . Must sound great.

19. sylvanshine

sylvanshine Member

I've owned easily a dozen Cobras in the last 5 years. I still own one with a H-M-M configuration. I kept it because it was the only one that beat my 03 RO in side by side tests.

For me, the real Les Paul slayer is the Atom. I know they get slagged a lot here, but for me it is the ultimate single cut. The neck pocket, the bridge, the comfort, the intonation and the resonance- all far superior to the best Les Pauls I've played. YMMV.

20. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

There is definetly an Atom in my future.:cool: