Tell Me About Bjfe Dyna Red Distortions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by majorledhead, Jan 4, 2008.

1. majorledhead

majorledhead Supporting Member

I'm so impressed with my first BJFE pedal that I'm rethinking my setup again. Tell me why a Honeybee>Dyna Red>SeaBlue EQ would be a great core group to build off of. You know, Help me justify my G.A.S..

2. Dave

Dave Member

I've owned the HB(twice!), EGDM and DRD. I sold the HB and just traded my EGDM for a DRD which I've been playing with all day. The DRD is easily my favorite of the 3. It's very dynamic and works well as a low or high gain OD/distortion. Stacks nicely too. It's very different from the Honey Bee, it's not like they will overlap in any way.

As far as justifying your G.A.S., I can't help you. If you can find one for under $400 go for it. If you don't like it you can easily flip it and probably profit. I don't think any pedal is worth what the BJFs are selling for, but that's just my opinion.

3. lv

lv Supporting Member

Great Marshally sounding high gain. Nice feel/response. With that setup you'd have a lot of tones covered.

4. geetarman

geetarman Member

The DR is one of the best distortion boxes I've tried as mentioned above good dynamics and feel with Marshally flavor.

5. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

Played it once at Summer NAMM. Best distortion pedal I ever heard. Of course it was running the Mad Professor amp too. Amp was very clean. It was a tone to die for I thought. The price has kept me away, but not forever. I'll pick one up if they ever come down a bit.

6. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I have one in the mail. I'm totally crazy for spending that much on a pedal. But I figure if this is the last distortion i buy, heck its worth it.

7. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

Let us know if it really is worth it. How long is the wait?

8. Sid

Sid Member

I was lucky to get one when the price was around 300...its an amazing amazing pedal...no marshall box comes close to the dyna red...it makes them all sound small and restricted....i think of the dyna as another channel to my amp....now wouldnt u spend that much on an amp?

9. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I actually picked it up off the emporium, so I didn't wait. I don't have patience for that...

I will definitely post my thoughts. Its hard to believe anything is worth 400 bucks. I can always re-sell it if I need to.

10. usc96

usc96 Member

Make sure to report back. I was going to buy that one for $425 but the seller actually declined and returned my paypal payment (I've never seen that happen) because my paypal account was connected to my debit card and not my bank account. Something about him not wanting to pay a fee to paypal to upgrade to accept bank cards. Anyway, report back because another will come up on the emporium and I may be in the market for one. Thanks. :D

11. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Will do. I'll try and get some good sound clips up too, with some side by side comparisons with a TS808 / Eternity / BYOC Shredder / and a HBE Power Screamer. I just have to get my mics and everything setup. Maybe I'll borrow my band-mates DS-1 just for sh**'s and giggles... Now that would be a comparison!

12. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

I like the Dyna Red, but actually prefer the EGDM.

13. justonwo

justonwo Member

Can anyone help with a tip on where to find a Dyna Red right now?

14. 4styx

4styx Member

Does anyone know how the MP Mighty Red Distortion compares to the Dyna Red or are they the same pedal?

15. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

The Mighty Red Distortion is a more mass-produced pedal, where as the Dyna Red is still hand made individually by Bjorn. They are close, but from what I've heard the Dyna Red is slightly better sounding.

16. Jack

Jack Member

Without going into a lot of detail, those 3 bjf's are a good combo because they're stackable with each other and you can cover different levels of gain with the EQ being used as the "smoother" to take care of any eq issues that aren't quite right between the other components in the signal chain.

17. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller Supporting Member

Dyna Red - classic type distorion

Mighty Red - 80's type distortion

Very distinct voicings for each. Check out the forum at www.bjfelectronics.com for more.

18. Mooncef

Mooncef Member

8 years later ... since now there's a standard Dyna red , is the BJFE version still worth it?

19. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

I've built both (assuming "standard" -> Bearfoot). I prefer the BJFe. Although, the differences in circuitry between the two are minimal.

Frankly, I'm not sure why Bearfoot strays from the BJFe formulae in any of their pedals. It's not for supply reasons. These are resistors and capacitors we're talking about; not exotic semiconductors.