Tell me about Blackface Showman Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by atomicmassunit, Apr 25, 2008.

1. atomicmassunit

atomicmassunit Member

I'm interested in getting a larger bf Fender and was thinking the showman might be a good choice. Anyone got one? Tell me how you like it and what kind of sounds you get out of it, strengths and weaknesses, etc.

2. cmr415

cmr415 Member

Strengths: Great traditional BF tones. Not as desired as the Deluxe Reverbs, so price 'might' be a bit more down to earth.

Cons: Head only (i think, please correct me if Im wrong) but this might be a strength to some. 40+ watts, so they are loud. Again, this might be just the ticket for some.

Overall, I think they are great sounding amps.

3. Flah

Flah Member

I have a '65 Blackface. You can see a demo here (disregard the first couple of seconds of black). It's a great amp. 85 watts and tons of clean headroom. It takes pedals really well. With a TS-10 it is really smooth, and the amount of bass in the amp makes up for the typical TS midrange bump.

I use it with my Bogner 2x12 and it sounds fantastic and extremely loud.

4. r8burst

r8burst Member

I have a buddy, a member here, with one for sale. PM me if you're interested. I believe it's a '66 Dual Showman, but I'll check with him tonight.

Tony

5. ROKY

ROKY Member

Our old guitarist used a BF Dual Showman running thru a Holland 2x12
    with some older Eminence speakers w/ a 10 yr-old Epi Sheraton and
    a 1st Gen Menatone Blue Collar OD and got amazing tones w/ that
    simple rig.

6. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

I have a BF Dual Showman. I don't need 85 Watts so I remove the two center power tubes and use an 8 ohm, not a 4 ohm, cabinet. Much better for my purposes and it breaks up sooner.

Also, the amp takes pedals like you wouldn't believe. A great buy now but I'm sure that they'll go up in value just like all of the other vintage gear.

7. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

BF Showman--- 6L6GCx4= 85 watts----- great power and depth of tone---- great base for pedals with a rich BF tone base--- "Roach" Trem, not the greatest, not the worst--- Normal channel has more drive than Vib channel----- Showman= 8 ohm output----- Dual Showman= 4 ohm output.
    The SF "Reverb" Showman heads are different circuits---- some like them--- some don't.................gldtp99