Tell me about cabinet construction...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gremson, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Gremson

Gremson Member

I've had an old VT brand cab for a while... it's nice and heavy. Pretty deep too.
    But I just bought an old Vox cab. Aesthetically, it's way cooler. All beat up, filled with mojo.
    I just bought a new amp head. I've noticed that there's a lot less bass response. I don't think it's in the head, but I've only got one set of speakers for the two cabinets.
    Can the cabinet construction have such a huge difference? Is there anything I can do to correct it?

2. MiyakoDesigns

MiyakoDesigns Member

The cabinet construction can definitely make a difference. Are the cabinets closed back, open back, semi open? What are the overall dimensions of each cabinet and what speakers are you using? Hard to tell you whether the cabinet construction is the real problem without knowing more about your cabinets.

3. cram

cram Member

it absolutely does. it's part of the reason while I don't use combos. (not that you couldn't swap with a combo speaker wire...)

the mass of the wood, the area and shape of the cabinet matter. For sealed cabs, you get more punch and bass response, while an open back can give you a fuller sound from the rear projection off of a wall behind the cab..

Bass response - did you just wire the speakers? Did you test the polarity? Are they pushing at the same time? test it with a 9v battery.

4. Gremson

Gremson Member

I wired the speakers exactly the same as they were before. In series/parallel.

The VT cab is mostly plywood. maybe 18" deep. It's totally closed back. and it has a piece of wood separating the top two and bottom two speakers.

The Vox cab is maybe a foot deep. It's mostly made out of particle board. and it has two vents near the top on the back of the cab.

I've got a new set of speakers coming, and I would rather put them in one cab and leave em. I love the look of the vox cab. As shallow as it may be, the appearance of my gear really effects my playing.
    Would it help to close off the back vents? I'vr read about people putting pieces of carpet inside their cabs and whatnot. What would that accomplish?

Here's the two cabs if anyone was intrigued.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. jchan

jchan Member

An 18" deep closed back cabinet has to have a huge amount of bass. No open back cab will be able to compare with it in terms of bass response.