Tell me about Eminence V12's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by troublehead, Sep 22, 2006.

1. troublehead

troublehead Member

I'm looking for a smoother V30 with less congestion in the mids. The darker the better as well. All the reviews sound great. but I'm concerned about getting 120 watt speakers for low/moderate volumes. I'm assuming this won't be a problem since they supposedly have medium breakup and 100 dB efficiency. I'll be playing classic hard rock like UFO, Lizzy, etc....

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

You definitely don't need 120 watts to drive them, they'll do their thing with at little as 1 watt. The power rating just states how much power the voice coil can thermally handle before meltdown, not how much power it needs to operate properly.

For the price you just simply can't go wrong with Eminence speakers, especially the V12 at $45. At least try it!

3. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

great speakers...I've loaded two 4x12 cabs with them- they are just the sound I was looking for- they are tight and punchy, bass is there and they peak a bit in the mids but roll off the highs so no ice-pickiness...Darth Tater is correct about them no NEEDING alot to drive them, but the more they have the better they get...very loud speakers- I love them-

4. ungarn

ungarn Member

Definitely consider the Eminence Governor...it's a real Vintage 30 killer...

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I HAVE to try these too. Im tired of my V-30's and G12H-30's.They are(annoyingly) close but I need a darker speaker with more body.Im hoping these will be them.

6. dzrati

dzrati Member

My V12 should be here Monday. My new 112 cab from Jdesign should be here on Monday as well. I'm hoping the V12 will warm up my Mazerati a tad. I have a 212 right now loaded with a Tonker and a Texas Heat. They really work well together and sound great, but I like the sound of a 112 too. I'll check back after I've had a chance to try it out!

7. anibas

anibas Member

For the price you just simply can't go wrong with Eminence speakers, especially the V12 at $45. At least try it![/quote]
    Not to hijack the thread,but whos' selling them at this price?

8. JPW

JPW Member

Not to hijack the thread,but whos' selling them at this price?[/quote]MUSIC 123

9. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I just bought 2 slightly used Eminice Legends A GB12 and a 128. They sound fantasic together through my Fuchs ODS50. Very cool Clasic Rock tones . I'm changing over to EL34s soon and I only expect them to sound even better. [​IMG]

10. 13strigoi

13strigoi Member

I loaded my Splawn 2x12 with Legend V12s and I'm very happy with them. I got them through Music123 but for some reason only the 8ohm speakers were $45, they told me the 16ohm were $69. Dunno why? But something to keep in mind if you need 16ohm.

11. Reeek

Reeek Member

They're a dark speaker. I like them but they shine mostly in a heavy crunch IMHO. They sound great clean but there isn't any bell like chime. It's all personal taste and yes, they are loud.

12. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Damn. I need 16's....:(

13. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

SPAM Alert:

I have a brand new pair for sale, 16 ohm, $115 shipped CONUS. Paypal preferred.

14. troublehead

troublehead Member

Thats great. I'm putting mine in a Splawn 2x12 as well. I just scored a slightly used pair for $60. They are 16 ohm, so I'm going to go parallel for an 8 ohm cab.

15. rockon1

rockon1 Member

How about a Swamp thing?....Dark,full?

16. Darth Tater

The Swamps are not nearly as dark as the V12's, in fact they have pretty good bit of high end sizzle. Not as much sizzle as a Texas Heat, and not NEARLY as much as the 'Sizzle Monster' (aka The Tonker).

Overall I like the Swamps, but they were a little to fizzy with my Soldano, which the V12's took care of.

17. rockon1

rockon1 Member

OK-good to know..... As Ive stated before my V30/g12 combo is close not warm enough.I guess really too pronounced in the upper mids.... I did some "tweaking" today. Removed the v30's and put back the Carvin GS12-75's I had from a "blowout" sale.A very bass heavy,kind of scooped? mids. (actually kind of scooped mids and highs!-if that makes sense) and bam what a difference! last time I tried them I took out the g12's. That was a mistake. The JSX has enough upper mids? as it is.It doesnt need the help of the V-30's. With the Carvin /G12 mix its really smooth and warm. The Carvins by them selves are too subdued in the mids and highs but mixed with the G12's its very nice. I still want to try the V12's I think though.

Hows the mids on the v12? smooth- not peaky?

18. Darth Tater

Mids on the V12 are silky smooth. That was the design idea, make a Vintage 30 that does not take your head off.

19. loudgtr

loudgtr Member

Thats how I would describe the mids I heard in the Soldano 4x12 that was loaded with V12's. "Silky smooth" indeed. Nice speakers from what I heard. Clear without any 'ear fatiguing' symptoms.