Tell me about Fuchs ODS/TDS

satisphied

I am intrigued by these amps. My face has been blown away on many occasion by jimmy herring using these. The sound is just unreal.. I assume the TDS is the same as the ODS but with 3 channels?

The amount of features built in seems like a great deal at the used price point

sleewell

I have a TDS 100 and it is amazing. I previously owned a TDS 50 and foolishly sold it so when I saw a 100 up for sale I bought it.

flat out the clean is the best I have ever heard or played. hands down, no questions. its just so full and powerful. the notes bloom and hang on forever in the most organically musical & beautiful way. hearing your guitar this way just opens up new ideas and new ways to play. its really fun.

I'm more of a rock guy than blues but its great for both and would be an excellent jazz amp too. you can dial the overdrive in a polite way but it can also do great aggressive rock tones too. having all of the tone shaping options at your feet is great too, I love the mid and gain boosts.

fantastic amp, about the only thing it doesn't do is metal but I also have a fuchs viper that is perfect for when I try to play that stuff. Andy builds truly top notch amps.

The Funk

They sound really really nice.

Not sure how the third channel works in the TDS, but the ODS is Dumble-style in that its essentially a single channel amp with an extra overdrive function at the end of the preamp that can be switched in and out. This can mean its hard to get the clean tone you want and the driven tone you want because the controls are shared.

But, given the reverence that people have for amps like this, you may not care.

I've played an ODS once. It sounded really really good.

satisphied

They sound really really nice.

Not sure how the third channel works in the TDS, but the ODS is Dumble-style in that its essentially a single channel amp with an extra overdrive function at the end of the preamp that can be switched in and out. This can mean its hard to get the clean tone you want and the driven tone you want because the controls are shared.

But, given the reverence that people have for amps like this, you may not care.

I've played an ODS once. It sounded really really good.
Yea I actually prefer single channel amps, atleast for my current style and needs. Anyone know if the guts are the same in the ods and tds?

I am looking at this or a bogner shiva for my next amp.

satisphied

I have a TDS 100 and it is amazing. I previously owned a TDS 50 and foolishly sold it so when I saw a 100 up for sale I bought it.

flat out the clean is the best I have ever heard or played. hands down, no questions. its just so full and powerful. the notes bloom and hang on forever in the most organically musical & beautiful way. hearing your guitar this way just opens up new ideas and new ways to play. its really fun.

I'm more of a rock guy than blues but its great for both and would be an excellent jazz amp too. you can dial the overdrive in a polite way but it can also do great aggressive rock tones too. having all of the tone shaping options at your feet is great too, I love the mid and gain boosts.

fantastic amp, about the only thing it doesn't do is metal but I also have a fuchs viper that is perfect for when I try to play that stuff. Andy builds truly top notch amps.
Did you prefer the 50w or did you notice any difference in sound? 100w just seems like overkill in some instances, but apparently you can only get certain sounds by having 100w or 'big iron', correct?

sleewell

they are both great, I don't think I could pick one or the other. maybe the 100 bc I have more experience with it now but it would be very close. on both the master volume is so good that you can get great tones at very low volumes.

satisphied

they are both great, I don't think I could pick one or the other. maybe the 100 bc I have more experience with it now but it would be very close. on both the master volume is so good that you can get great tones at very low volumes.
what kind of cab and speakers did you run them through?

sleewell

either a whitebox 212 with wgs et65 & vet 30 or a mako 412 with scumback m75s & celestion k100s.

I would like to try it with an EVM though, I hear that is a great speaker for these amps.

satisphied

either a whitebox 212 with wgs et65 & vet 30 or a mako 412 with scumback m75s & celestion k100s.

I would like to try it with an EVM though, I hear that is a great speaker for these amps.
what about tone tubbys? purple haze in particular?

I think jimmy herring uses the tone tubby red alnico in all his cabs and we know they sound great with his tds/ods/cleanmachine if you're going for that kind of sound.

what's a fair price point for these amps? It seems like the seller has the advantage with them being somewhat rare or limited

satisphied

after doing a lot of research I am gassing HARD for one of these bad boys.. I'm going to have to make the final payment on a custom built archtop in about a month so its going to be a while (maybe even next year :() until I can think about dropping 2-4gs on one of these The ODS II's look so nice too, it's really getting to me

Last edited:

vladorg

Gold Supporting Member
Lots of Fuchs love, I have a ODS 50 SLX and it has been my main amp for years. I've had some other really cool amps, but none of them has been able to replace the ODS and I have played all kinds of gigs with it. It is easy for me to dial my own sound, it is very versatile and always cuts through the mix.

satisphied

Lots of Fuchs love, I have a ODS 50 SLX and it has been my main amp for years. I've had some other really cool amps, but none of them has been able to replace the ODS and I have played all kinds of gigs with it. It is easy for me to dial my own sound, it is very versatile and always cuts through the mix.

What kind of cab and speakers are you running with it? Do you use any pedals?

I think it will be weird for me getting the OD from the amp, even though I know it would sound better it's like the act of engaging the pedal (not a footswitch) results in something special. Strange I know

vladorg

Gold Supporting Member
What kind of cab and speakers are you running with it? Do you use any pedals?

I think it will be weird for me getting the OD from the amp, even though I know it would sound better it's like the act of engaging the pedal (not a footswitch) results in something special. Strange I know
I use it either with a THD 2x12" cab with the stock speakers or an Avatar 1x12" with a Vintage 30. The only pedal I run, if any, is a delay in the loop and maybe a Wah in front. As a matter of fact I love the overdrive from the amp and for a long while now I don't even use the clean channel - I'm on the OD channel the whole time and just ride my volume knob. Check out the live YT clips of my trio - the ODS is in all of them.

grego7

has left the building
Platinum Supporting Member
I don't have a "real" ODS, but I just recently got my Fender Bandmaster head back from Andy Fuchs and it is an incredible sounding amp. It takes a little bit of dialing in for me, but there are all kinds of great sounds in there. My Bandmaster sounded good, but not great and the tremolo was really noisy and "tick-y", so I figured I would invest in the ODS mod. I had them replace the output transformer with one that has 4, 8 and 16-ohm taps instead of just the 4-ohm output that the Fender had. I also had them add reverb and the effects loop as well as a pentode / triode switch.

I was playing it tonight with my telecaster and an OD-3 for a little more gain on the clean channel and it just sounded fantastic, very responsive to how hard you pick. When you engage that 2nd channel, you can really get some wonderful higher gain sounds but it cleans up so well with the guitar volume knob. I know this is supposed to be "Dumble-ish" but I haven't really tried too hard to cop a Robben Ford-ish type of tone - too happy just playing what I've kind of stumbled on so far.

After I sent in my amp to Fuchs, I spent way too much time reading about best cabinet / speaker, etc. and wound up buying an oversized 1x12 cab with an oval-open back to stick a Delta Pro 12A in (I already had the speaker laying around). Turns out, I like my old Mesa Boogie 3/4 back 2x12 with stock black shadows more.

My only dilemma is I that I have a Carr Skylark en route and I will probably only keep one of these amps. I think the Carr will be a better fit for what I need power-wise and I really have loved what I've heard from that amp online (no Carr dealers near me). We'll see. Maybe I can sell a kidney and keep both LOL

Bluewail

Tone curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
I had an ODS for many years and it's a great amp. In the meantime I've owned a number of other similar amps including a Two Rock Emerald Pro in the past and a Ceriatone OTS and Redplate Blackverb now. My personal preference is the Blackverb due to its Fender voiced cleans but the ODS still had a better drive side. The surprise of the bunch is the Ceriatone. It sounds a LOT like the ODS on both channels, perhaps a tad mellower.

guitar29

Gold Supporting Member
I have a TDS HRM 100 watter and it is mind blowing. The best cleans you will ever hear, great loop and very versatile overdrive. It's a keeper to say the least.

satisphied

I don't have a "real" ODS, but I just recently got my Fender Bandmaster head back from Andy Fuchs and it is an incredible sounding amp. It takes a little bit of dialing in for me, but there are all kinds of great sounds in there. My Bandmaster sounded good, but not great and the tremolo was really noisy and "tick-y", so I figured I would invest in the ODS mod. I had them replace the output transformer with one that has 4, 8 and 16-ohm taps instead of just the 4-ohm output that the Fender had. I also had them add reverb and the effects loop as well as a pentode / triode switch.

I was playing it tonight with my telecaster and an OD-3 for a little more gain on the clean channel and it just sounded fantastic, very responsive to how hard you pick. When you engage that 2nd channel, you can really get some wonderful higher gain sounds but it cleans up so well with the guitar volume knob. I know this is supposed to be "Dumble-ish" but I haven't really tried too hard to cop a Robben Ford-ish type of tone - too happy just playing what I've kind of stumbled on so far.

After I sent in my amp to Fuchs, I spent way too much time reading about best cabinet / speaker, etc. and wound up buying an oversized 1x12 cab with an oval-open back to stick a Delta Pro 12A in (I already had the speaker laying around). Turns out, I like my old Mesa Boogie 3/4 back 2x12 with stock black shadows more.

My only dilemma is I that I have a Carr Skylark en route and I will probably only keep one of these amps. I think the Carr will be a better fit for what I need power-wise and I really have loved what I've heard from that amp online (no Carr dealers near me). We'll see. Maybe I can sell a kidney and keep both LOL

Going to PM you, maybe you can save your kidney :)

JazzGtr

I currently own both. TDS 100 is best for gigging situations with the separate channel switching, higher headroom and overall sound quality. The clean channel is to die for. But it's a heavier amp along with it's 2x12 speaker cab (100 lbs.) . Whereas the ODS 50, is a better practice / studio amp / very small club option along with a 1x12 cab making it an easier amp to transport to and from.

Sound wise, the ODS 50 can get you 80% of the TDS 100 overall range ( with the exception:less headroom at maximum volume and not a pristine clean as the TDS clean channel) but still worth owning. When I bought the TDS, I found the many tones available to be a bit scary to manage. And as one reviewer stated " The Rolls Royce" of tones is no joke. It has taken me a couple years to explore which has been nice because I have not yet gotten bored with the TDS abilities 8 years later.

By owning both, it's easier for me to understand each other better if that makes any sense. For Jazz, the TDS and my L5 is just heaven. Whereas the ODS and my Strat is a better pairing.. There's something special about single coils and a 50 watt amp being overdriven to the edge.

I will be keeping both for the foreseeable future.

As far as speakers used in my cabs: ET65 closed back, Eminence Canis Major in ported back

Hope this helps.

Jazz,

Last edited:

Trending Topics