Tell me about Glenn Frey's rig at this time, please...

Buddhist#6

Courtney DIDN’T Kill Kurt!
Silver Supporting Member
A non reverb Blackface deluxe and his “Old Black” modded jr that I believe he got from jackson Browne. I’m not sure if he used any pedals at that time. But I know for hell freeses over he used a boss DS-1(yes the orange one) a boss super chorus and a Dd-3. Obviously none of those pedals existed when the above video was recorded.

roknfnrol

Gold Supporting Member
A non reverb Blackface deluxe and his “Old Black” modded jr that I believe he got from jackson Browne. I’m not sure if he used any pedals at that time. But I know for hell freeses over he used a boss DS-1(yes the orange one) a boss super chorus and a Dd-3. Obviously none of those pedals existed when the above video was recorded.
I have that amp, it can get rude but you gotta crank it, which it sounds like Glenn did.

ripple

With Kung Fu Grip and Lifelike Hair
Gold Supporting Member
cool how Glenn could play the majority of the guitar duties himself at that point.....he's awesome

I’ve always felt he was an underrated player. He did some great/cool lead solos parts in his solo career. I mean smugglers blues and the heat is on both have some cool licks.

:aokAgreed. Even after Don Felder & Joe Walsh were the established "lead" players, Glenn laid down one of the best recorded solos ever in I Can't Tell You Why.

When I was younger, I assumed Bernie Leadon played all the lead parts pre-Felder/Walsh, and was surprised when I learned Glenn was responsible for some of the early lead stuff I loved most (solo in Already Gone perfect example).

Buddhist#6

Courtney DIDN’T Kill Kurt!
Silver Supporting Member
:aokAgreed. Even after Don Felder & Joe Walsh were the established "lead" players, Glenn laid down one of the best recorded solos ever in I Can't Tell You Why.

When I was younger, I assumed Bernie Leadon played all the lead parts pre-Felder/Walsh, and was surprised when I learned Glenn was responsible for some of the early lead stuff I loved most (solo in Already Gone perfect example).
He also played the solo to witchy woman.

Madcow

The right one kinda looks like a dlx?

7CDF6F51-7B01-429D-8BF0-2D637ABB2D88.jpeg

nightchef

Yeah, watching that video, and some of the other ones from that same concert, I’m struck by how much of an equal partnership there was between Frey and Leadon in the band’s early days — they were shifting roles all the time as the song’s needs and their sounds/styles dictated. Like Keith and his fellow guitarists in the Stones, or Verlaine and Lloyd in Television.

Also, the quality of the vocals across the board is remarkably high for a live tape, and Randy Meisner’s bass is absolutely rock solid. Say what you want about them, those guys were a band.

Hap Hazzard

The '74 California Jam would have been a great one to attend - what a bill! Not too long ago the Eagles whole set was available on youtube.

But alas in 1974 I was only 8 years old and 2,000 miles away. And Deep Purple didn't come on until past my bedtime.

teleluvver

Several years ago, on a fan forum, I asked Don Felder what gear he used on Already Gone; he told me it was a Les Paul Jr into a non-reverb Deluxe with a silver Vox speaker. In other words, it sounds like he used Glenn's gear. Looking at the freezed frame above, that Deluxe has a silver Vox speaker in it.

mycroftxxx

Silver Supporting Member
Several years ago, on a fan forum, I asked Don Felder what gear he used on Already Gone; he told me it was a Les Paul Jr into a non-reverb Deluxe with a silver Vox speaker. In other words, it sounds like he used Glenn's gear. Looking at the freezed frame above, that Deluxe has a silver Vox speaker in it.
And it should be noted that Felder only played on two songs for that album (“On the Border”): Already Gone and Good Day in Hell. The band wanted a slide part on the latter, and Felder was recommended by Bernie Leadon IIRC; he did such a good job on that song, they asked him to overdub a second lead part onto Already Gone. Then they asked him to join the band. And then…you already know the rest o_O

That slide part to GDiH is great though. I’d love to do it live sometime (it can be approximated reasonably well in standard tuning, although Felder likely did it in open E; both he and Walsh got some slide tutoring from Duane Allman).

ETA: here it is on YouTube; the first 10 sec or so is nonsense, then the actual song starts - a new way to get around YouTube takedowns?

gmann

Early on he played the slide parts in the band then they got Felder and Walsh and that ended that. When people talk about underrated players Frey should be at the top of that list IMO.

teleluvver

In Already Gone, which lead part did Frey play and which lead part did Felder play? The one that I love is the signature riff (not the one that immediately starts the song). This is one of the best rock tones ever. It’s hard to believe that that is just a P90 into a Deluxe.

Top Bottom