Tell me about Lace Sensors

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kustombob, Jan 30, 2018.

1. kustombob

kustombob Member

I found a 1993 Japan made fender strat that has Gold Lace Sensors. Its in the local area. Are these pu's any good. What tone do they have. Are they noisy . Thanks for any info. The want $550.

2. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

Not on a strat, but Jonny Greenwood's main Telecaster is a "Telecaster Plus" with Lace Sensor pickups, a V1 so made sometime before 95. He's used it on about every Radiohead album since Pablo Honey. He has a Lace Sensor Blue (single coil) in the neck and a Red (humbucker) in the bridge.

Even if you don't like Radiohead, if you're aware of their catalogue you'll know you can get a TON of tones out of those pickups. I was actually really surprised when I learnt that he basically used it on everything.

sahhas likes this.
  3. stonem

stonem Supporting Member

Early smashing pumpkins was the red silver blue setup as well. Very recognizable pickup tone.

Gevalt and sahhas like this.
  4. doublescale1

doublescale1 Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    Late '90's Buddy Guy Sig Strats came with Lace Sensor golds, early '90's Jeff Beck & Clapton strats & Strat Plus models came with Lace Sensor's too. IIRC the EC's came with golds the Beck strats & Strat Plus had a combination of different ones (Blue, Red Silver). The Golds were the hotter output while still being strat sounding (as in not HB tone).

Humble Texan Fan likes this.
  5. zeffbeff

zeffbeff Member

They're great, and I've been meaning to get a set for my Strat, but I just don't need them right now.

I've had a Gold sensor in my Strat ages ago. It was very juicy and slightly compressed.

I use my Strat just for recording and jamming these days, so I keep it stock, because the Fat 50s pickups are incredible (but noisy).

6. John C

John C Supporting Member

Lace Sensors are a noiseless pickup (but like any "noiseless" single coil they can pick up some noise, but not like a regular single coil).

Fender used ones with gold, silver, blue and red logos, and they all had different voicings:
    • Gold - vintage '50s Fender (used on the Strat Plus, Clapton Strat, Beck Strat, USA Buddy Guy Strat, middle pickup on Strat Ultras, and 2 Tele-style/1 Strat-style on the V2 Tele Plus)
    • Silver - "Fat Strat" kind of like a Texas Special, maybe a bit hotter than that (used on Strat Plus Deluxe - originally neck & middle, just middle circa 1990; middle pickup on James Burton Tele)
    • Blue - supposed to be '50s PAF humbucker (originally the bridge pickup on the Deluxe Strat Plus; changed to neck pickup on Deluxe Strat Plus circa 1990; neck pickup on Tele Plus V1/Deluxe Tele Plus; neck pickup on James Burton Tele)
    • Red - very hot Strat pickup, like a Duncan Quarter Pound (bridge pickup on Deluxe Strat Plus and James Burton Tele; 2 in a humbucker-style mount on the Strat Ultra)
    Hope that helps; Fender never used the other varieties of Lace Sensors that have come out over the years.

7. kustombob

kustombob Member

Wow thanks guys. I will look into this guitar. Really appreciate all the info.

8. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Make sure you test them set up close to the strings.
    They get weak quickly if too far away and can be set close without excess mag pull.
    They do not sound quite like trad strat pups but sound far better than some of the other alternatives that claim to be noiseless.

9. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

To whom said not in a strat, that is false.
    They are really good pups. Try to get the old ones if possible.

10. sahhas

sahhas Member

If you want benchmarks, both Clapton and Beck in the late 80s/early 90s were using strats with them, at some point in the 90s they switched over to a different pickup. (although I just looked up the Clapton Strat and it says he used them until about 2000/01, didn't know he used them that long!). And yes Corgin used a strat with lace sensors also, you can see them in a lot of live vids, not sure what he used in the studio. The Greenwood Tele is kind of cool, but i'm not as familiar with Radiohead sounds.

I have a red lace sensor that I had in an old guitar, it sounded good to me. I'm thinking of refurbing a guitar project and getting it back in a guitar to test it out again. good luck.

this is a very good overview of them:

kustombob likes this.
  11. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

I owned an early Clapton strat for many years and played it as my #1. The lace pickups were noiseless and very high output.

If you can imagine how a Vox amp starts to break up, the gold lace sensors sound like a really loud mix of a vintage strat pickup mixed with an “in your face” Vox in the edge of breakup (smooth and chimney) tone.

Dashface and kustombob like this.
  12. Lonnie00

Lonnie00 Member

There are literally hundreds of videos on youtube that you can listen to. Do so.

The_Whale likes this.
  13. InkStained

InkStained Member

They're awesome.

They're real single-coils. Just one coil. That's it.

They're slightly compressed, to my ears. You might dig that. Or you might not.

I think they handle distortion and overdrive with authority.

They're more quiet than conventional single-coils, but not silent.

They are not humbuckers. Please don't call them humbuckers.

Call them "awesome."

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  14. PatrickE_FenderADV

PatrickE_FenderADV Supporting Member

Blue Lace in the neck is fat... it's a cross between an HB and a P90. I just bought one to put in one of my strats. It's my fave of all Lace's offerings. I have had two strats with Lace pups. I like them fwiw.

15. MickeyJi

MickeyJi Member

Great pickups, but somehow they don‘t look quite right in a Strat IMO. It shouldn‘t really matter - but it does. Can‘t seem to help it. But they do sound good with a tone signature of their own.

16. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

Lace Sensors are awesome pickups imo, and my favorite pickups for SSS Strats (I have the emerald, silver, and purple in my partscaster). They're not noiseless, they're true single coils, but they are very quiet due to the design. The golds have more of a vintage type sound, and they were in the original Clapton Strats, as well as others.

TP Parter likes this.
  17. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Silver Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    Great pickups, I had a few Strat Plus models in the 90's that had them and I always thought they sounded really good. The only thing I didn't like about a Lace Red in the bridge is that IMO it only sounded good dirty. Wasn't good for clean bridge tones at all. Just my opinion though. I thought the Blue was an all around better, more versatile bridge pickup.

18. 70 Mach 1

70 Mach 1 Supporting Member

Listen to Clapton, 24 nights Live live at Royal Albert hall.

This is exactly what they sound like since Clapton didnt use too many boxes on that cd.

IIRC about 1991.

I have them in my Clapton strat that I bought new in 91.

Great all around pups but as mentioned they need to be set right.

Too low and they go week too high they get sterile.

I got mine set at about a dime and a nickle fretted at last fret. A little higher than recommend below.

Nice reading here.

http://lacepickups.co.uk

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  19. jujube

jujube Member

They are just fine especially with overdrive. I have a Strat Plus Deluxe from the last year of production. I have kept it stock...

TP Parter likes this.
  20. Rayzaa

Rayzaa Member

I had Lace Sensors in a 1996 Peavey. Had a hot gold in the neck, silver in the middle and red in the bridge. Dead quiet. They sound pretty good too. I'd consider them an upgrade to most stock fender pickups and back in the day, those were the stock pickups in a Strat. Today id buy some Lace's again for the right Strat.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018