Tell me about Les Paul Jr.'s

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 56_Special, Jun 16, 2006.

1. 56_Special

56_Special Member

What are the different variations? I've seen single pick up and two pick up models, single cutaways and double cut aways. Are there other variations? Which are your favorites? Are the new production ones good when comparied to older ones? How about copies like Tokai and Edwards? Thanks!

Martin

2. kbphx

kbphx Member

I believe the Jr.'s all have a single pickup. A friend of mine has a '58, i think. It kicks major gluteus maximus. Fantastic (near-perfect?) intonation, even with the old non-adjustable wraparound bridge. New ones, in my experience, don't even come close.

3. 56_Special

56_Special Member

Just one pickup. A little research revealed that the two pickup models are actually LP specials. They look a lot like a Jr with two pickups. Are there any other differences between these two models?

4. WordMan

WordMan Member

Depending on what you are trying to find out, you would be well-served getting a book like Tony Bacon's Les Paul book.

Bottom line is that both the Junior and Special models have gone through many, many flavors over the years - singlecut, doublecut, SG, reissues, P-90's vs. humbuckers, etc...

Juniors are 1-pickup guitars, Specials are 2-pickup guitars. Both were originally issues as economy versions of the Les Paul line and remained with P-90 pickups throughout the 50's and into the 60's as the LP evolved into the SG.

With their single-piece mahogany bodies, P-90's and great build quality, these beginner guitars earned a reputation for being amazing rockers in their own right...

trying to summarize all of the variations past that would be a lengthy chore. As for copies, some rock, some don't - no hard n' fast rules...you gotta play them...

5. WordMan

WordMan Member

Oh, and to real LP geeks, a key difference is that with Juniors, the P-90 pickup is a "dog-ear" - meaning it mounts directly to the body via little flanges of plastic (the dog ears) on either side of the pickup. LP Special P-90's are screwed into mounts set into the pickup routs. Junior lovers point to the direct-to-body mounting as delivering superior tone. Special lovers point to the versatility of two pickups.

Heck - I'd take a 50's version of either in a heartbeat...

6. Colt

Colt Member

They're amazing. If you can't afford vintage, get a Korina one from Hamer.

7. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

If you can afford a Korina one from hamer you can probably afford vintage. Get a mahogany one from Hamer. An early 90s one should cost less than $600. 15 years is vintage? Right?

8. kbphx

kbphx Member

"Vintage" is relative. A 1991 Strat (15yrs old) isn't considered 'vintage.' A 1991 Matchless DC30 might be. "Vintage" for a LP Jr is going to mean 50's-60's, and it probably ain't gonna be cheap. Vintage LP Specials are knocking on $10K's door these days.

9. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane Silver Supporting Member

The Gibson Historic shop is currently making a sunbust one and a TV model yellow one. Both are single cuts. They sell for just under 2K.

10. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I understand Heritage is now making them and I'd be surprised if they weren't a lot less than a Gibson.

11. 56_Special

56_Special Member

Good points. I don't expect anybody to give me the whole story. I just enjoy chating about guitars with you guys. :)

12. WordMan

WordMan Member

Remember: Juniors are simple beasts. A hunk o' mahogany, a single P-90 and a lot of balls. Find something light and resonant, crank it up and play the wood, not the pickup. The good ones deliver.

13. SFK

SFK Member

I'm a big fan of the Single Cut historics. (Mine anyway).

It's been my favorite rock guitar since it arrived 4 years ago.

Lots of tones in that one pickup and two knobs.

14. sinner

sinner Member

...Sometimes a picture will help:

[​IMG]
    1955 Les Paul Jr. with Marshall 50 watt Plexi RI (model 1987XL), 4 x 12 cab loaded with 25 watt Greenbacks (model 1960TV)

15. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I have a cherry-color 1958. Other than replacing the tuners two years ago, it's stock. It (expletive deleted) ROCKS!!!! Leslie West to the nth degree. It's a double cutaway with wrap-around tailpiece, tres fat neck, one P90, one volume control, one tone control - killer guitar.

Peace,

jb

16. tdu

tdu Member

Back to one of the poster original questions, I am really curious about the Edwards Jr.'s and Specials as well. They look amazing.

17. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

The two pickup Heritage H-137 is $1350 with case from Wolfe guitars.

http://www.wolfeguitars.com

That includes a kicking tweed hard case, a PLEK setup and Lollar P-90s

I use it with a Z Carmen Ghia and a Carr Mercury and it SCREAMS!

18. dogfood

dogfood Member

I own a Gibson 1991 Les Paul Junior Reissue of a 1961 model with the SG body. It's got one dog ear P-100 and an uber thin neck. I used to think it was the rock'n'ist guitar on the planet and for many years. Then the honeymoon ended. Gibson :( .

19. 56_Special

56_Special Member

What's the difference between a Jr and a Melody Maker?

20. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

the ones on MF are pretty nice guitars for not a lot of cash. i believe the beauty of LP juniors comes from the simplicity. simple bridge, simple body, simple pickups, simple simple simple. very resonant and lively guitars that can take your head off. my lp jr really sounds phenomenal through my ac30.