Tell me about Matchless/Bad Cat Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rdamato, Jun 12, 2012.

1. rdamato

rdamato Supporting Member

I mostly play rhythm in a classic rock band and really like the EL-84 chime thing.
    But, some go their othe EF86 offerings have me intrigued as well.

Any advice on a particular model for my needs?

Thanks
    Ron

2. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Supporting Member

black cat or matchless c-30. done

3. Gearopenia

Gearopenia Member

Get a DC30 or a Black Cat and yes you are done!!
    I suggest the 212. Having the 112 and then going 212 the difference is immense.
    Harder to haul, but worth it.
    Check out Independence and Hot cat. You may like the EL34 offerings too.
    I have some mediocre demos if you wanna hear some Matchless'.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  4. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Member

Other than Vox, Matchless is the el84 amp, no denying fact. I think the 1x12 is fine or head, 2x12's are nice but a chore, a head allows you to do whatever you need.

A friend has a BadCat but with 2-6v6's it's actually really good, lots of chime and volume for 15 watts.

5. jbt7764

jbt7764 Member

El84, Black cat had with a 212, or I would go with a cubII r. However in a classic rock band playing rhythm, i would check out the Cool Cat 30. Go to www.badcatamps.com and check out the videos on the Cool Cat. Especially with a les Paul.
    If you want to discuss this in more detail, 714-630-0101, ask for John.

6. Faded

Faded Supporting Member

They are different companies. Some equate the two as very similar because BadCat started out essentialy making Matchless copies, but has since greatly expanded and changed their line. I prefer the Matchless C-30 as my grail amp, but you can likely find an amp to suit your needs in either lineup. I own amps from both companies and customer service is top notch either way.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  7. jbt7764

jbt7764 Member

Ron,
    Checked out your website, " never plays the same guitar once let alone twice" now that made me laugh!
    John

8. rdamato

It's so true! ADD in everything I do!!

9. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

Black Cat = C-30?
    What's the Cub II Matchless equivalent? Spitfire?

10. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Supporting Member

probably closest to the lightning, but i think they are more different.

11. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

yes, the original Cub was Lightning-based w/ a deeper cab, but the Cub II is a bit different ...

12. jbt7764

jbt7764 Member

Well on the cub II R you can switch between a passive five way tone selector or a traditional bass and treble control. You will find the tone selector to be more chimey and Vox like, with a small push in the mids that really allows you to nail the amount of low end that you are looking for. The bass and treble gets a very sweet almost black faced sound. The cub has a master that can be disengaged, a half power switch that will bring it down to 7 watts. The reverb is just awesome. So smooth and lush with the ability to get very deep, while always keeping the guitar forward in the mix.
    Not really sure what matchless models this might equate to today. Our companies share a similar lineage but like all great relationships, we have just grown apart. We don't talk any more and Phil doesn't pay attention to me. ;)
    John

13. rdamato

Hi John:

I sent you an email.

Thanks
    Ron

14. jonahstepro

jonahstepro Member

I am a big fan of Bad Cat, great amps and great people. I would totally go Black Cat, the EF86 side sounds HUGE for classic rock tones. I do agree with John that the Cool Cat is very nice. It doesn't have quite the same chime as the cleans on the Black Cat, but man when it is pushed it sounds sooooooo sweet.

15. electron transl

electron transl Member

Ok, wow, there's some weird misinformation in here. John cleaned some of it up though. For the OP, EF86 refers to the preamp tube. EL84 is the type of poweramp tube.

I've had a Black Cat 30R for the past few months. It has both a 12AX7 and EF86 channels, giving you a wide range of tones and flexibility. Up until this amp, everything I'd owned used 12AX7s - but I'm a believer in the EF86 now. Rich, complex, articulate tones. I use both channels a lot - the 12AX7 side for my cleans, and the EF86 side for dirt. I have the 1x12 version - it is a friggin' heavy amp and I was doing all I could to trim the weight. Get an extension cab if you want 2x12's, but I guarantee you won't play a venue that will ask you to turn up the 1x12. It gets crazy loud - much more than my AC30.

I run a few drive pedals into my Black Cat (Tim, Disnortion, etc). Takes pedals like a champ.
    So for extra push on classic rock tunes you'd be fine.

Bad Cat makes great amps. Matchless makes great amps. Vox makes some good amps. People deny all day long whether Matchless or Bad Cat are "better". At the end of the day it's preference - do you like Mercedes or BMW?

16. rdamato