Tell me about Musikraft necks

Myxolidian

I've used Warmoth in the past and they were "ok" but needed too much work such as fingerboard rolling, dressing and rounding fret ends, etc. Seems Musikraft does more finishing work before sending out the neck so I might go that route. Or just try to locate a Fender Jeff Beck neck off of ebay.

Any owners care to chime in on how happy or unhappy you are with Musikraft necks? Vs Warmoth necks? Vs Fender necks (the ones off of sig strats like a Beck or Mayer for instance)?

zztomato

I've used them for years now on my Fender style builds. I've yet to be disappointed. If you order the heavy rolled edges it's well worth it IMO. Even their lightly rolled edges feel great. They offer more than enough variety in sizing to fit almost any hand shape and playing style. If you are picky about your finish I'd suggest doing that part yourself if you want a certain look. Personally, I like to do the tinting and finishing myself.
Their fretwork is great as well. I don't think I've ever had to dress the ends.

Ape Factory

I have two Warmoths, one of which I just received and used in a build. I did need to spend extra and have the fretboard rolled along with the fret end dressing. They were playable as they came but can be improved.

I have a Musikcraft arriving today (I won't see it til Thursday) so I'll have a direct comparison and one that's fresh but I'm expecting far less work after the fact. The difference in price was about $100 for me (Musikraft was more) or equal to what you'd pay a luthier to do a fb roll, fret end dress and leveling. If you have a "go to" guy locally, might be a better route. Cost comparison is for a Warmoth "showcase" neck where I was able to choose some of the specs. The Musikraft had a few upgrades, roasted maple and aged clay dots. So your financial results may vary depending on options.

jimshine

I love both brands for different reasons. However, with that said, I haven't ordered a Warmoth neck in 10 years. I only buy from Musikraft. I just prefer the overall feel and ability to spec out so many fine details.

somethingclever

Gear Addict
Musikraft makes an outstanding neck. I recently got a strat neck from them and liked it so much I bought a Jazzmaster neck as well. I really like their "thin lacquer finish" option.
That's my vote.

monkey man

Musikraft makes an outstanding neck. I recently got a strat neck from them and liked it so much I bought a Jazzmaster neck as well. I really like their "thin lacquer finish" option.
That's my vote.
That "thin lacquer finish" is so thin, the neck looks and feels raw.
I have two of their FAT C 1.0 x 1.0 Tele necks, very nice!

R13D

Five Musikraft necks here.

Great necks, attention to details, just some very light tweaking on one of them.

jimshine

Their bodies are as good as their necks. Always well made with a good attention to detail. The only suggestion I have is pay a little more and have them drill the tremolo spring claw holes. It requires a super long bit to get the angle and position "right" and the bit itself isn't cheap enough to warrant not just having them do it.

Corinthian

I've only ordered a neck from them but it is great. The only possible criticism is that I paid extra for premium figured birdseye maple and it's not as figured as I expected. But otherwise it's perfect. Great fretwork, very straight and so far stable.

jimshine

I've only ordered a neck from them but it is great. The only possible criticism is that I paid extra for premium figured birdseye maple and it's not as figured as I expected. But otherwise it's perfect. Great fretwork, very straight and so far stable.
Yeah, I can relate to that. I ordered a couple premium figured necks and in my opinion they were lightly figured at best. I tend to expect that with them now.

Myxolidian

The only possible criticism is that I paid extra for premium figured birdseye maple and it's not as figured as I expected.
Yeah, I can relate to that. I ordered a couple premium figured necks and in my opinion they were lightly figured at best. I tend to expect that with them now.
That sucks to hear. I was planning to order 'select' grade birdseye for the neck wood and 'premium' grade birdseye for the fingerboard. Can somebody post a pic of what is select and what is premium? Can you at least tell the wood is figured and not just like 10 birdseye on the whole neck?

Eagle1

All kit necks need a fret dress really and the fingerboard roll is very easy and quite quick to do . I would not pick a neck on these criteria.

jimshine

In my experience, the difference between the select and premium is the select has larger patches of non-figured wood. The premium has a more even pattern to the figure. I am not sure what you will get with other companies these days. I tend to look at my old Boogie Bodies necks that had a fairly heavy amount of birdseye on average. Today wood like that is usually called "exhibition grade".

jiml

Gold Supporting Member
More expensive, but worth it. Much more options than most too. They are tough to get a hold of if you have questions, but they do get back eventually.

marex

I've had 5 different Musikraft necks and they have all been excellent. I tint them myself and apply Tru Oil finishes.

I ordered a select flame maple/rosewood strat neck that is one definitely more premium than select.

Surf n Music

That sucks to hear. I was planning to order 'select' grade birdseye for the neck wood and 'premium' grade birdseye for the fingerboard. Can somebody post a pic of what is select and what is premium? Can you at least tell the wood is figured and not just like 10 birdseye on the whole neck?
The one good thing about Warmoth is you can select the actual piece you buy on a custom build. But then you got the fret work to do. I wish Musikraft had that option.