• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Tell me about new USA Jackson guitars.

MrMunky

Gold Supporting Member
I know this forum is not the gathering place for Jackson aficionados, and I know that I am inviting a host of arguments that my values are misplaced. But I assume those risks and ask anyway: what kind of quality can I reasonably expect from a new USA Jackson? Is the craftsmanship respectable? Is the hardware that Jacksons use first rate?

I know a bit more about Ibanez guitars. Their current line of "high end" guitars with locking trems, which are made in Japan, are equipped with one of three models of bridges. One is the tried and true Edge, made in Japan by Gotoh, that is as good as it was when it was introduced more than 20 years ago. Another is the Edge Pro, also made by Gotoh, which features the same kind of workmanship and serves as a direct replacement for the original Edge but doesn't have as many fans as the original Edge. A third is the Edge Zero, which is made in China and is a piece of equipment much different from the other Edge models.

Are the bridge options on USA Jacksons that diverse? Is, for example, an RR-1 from 1987 much different from an RR-1 from 2009?

Roodyrocker

I'm a big Jackson fan and have both old and newer Jacksons. The new ones are great instruments. The USA Jacksons have Duncan pickups, Gotoh tuners, and original Floyd Rose trems (unless its a string thru), CTS pots and switches. All good stuff! Their finishes are great right out of the factory. The setups the guitars ship with are on average much better than other brands. May not be the optimum setup for you right out of the box as climates and tastes varry but I've never had one that couldn't be played out live right out of the box. Most current models are Alder bodies with maple necks and ebony fretboards with MOP sharktooth inlays, bound neck and headstock, aluminum control cavity and trem covers.
The older Jacksons varried a bit from the new depending on what era you are talking about as there were some differences between early 80's and even late 80's guitars. But generally speaking all are good. They had minor differences in things such as Schaller/Jackson branded Floyds or Kahler trems which were common in the 80's. Also Jackson pickups, etc... depending on the time frame. No junk at any time. Which model Jackson are you considering? We can discuss it further from there. In the example you mentioned, a Rhoads the pickups back in 1987 could have been anything as they were all custom ordered guitars. Today you can still custom order but the USA Selects have stock Duncans and the bridge options are either a string thru body for non trem guitars called the RR1T or original Floyd Rose called simply RR1.

heavypick

I just got a Jackson AT1, which is pretty sweet. I can't find any info other than basic specs on it though. Anyone know this model initmately?

GAD

Wubbalubbadubdub
Gold Supporting Member
I've been very impressed with every modern USA Jackson I've played. I have a MIJ Soloist that I also love.

GAD

The Eristic

I just got a Jackson AT1, which is pretty sweet. I can't find any info other than basic specs on it though. Anyone know this model initmately?
What do you want to know? It wasn't an extremely popular model, being a fairly radical departure from Jackson's usual feature set, but a very cool guitar in its own right. I'd love to find a green AT-1T.

Eagle1

The tuners are not Gotoh now they changed a while back ,they are Jin Ho(gotoh copies.) The Workmanship is good but the construction is radically different from an old one .The original had a full depth maple center with poplar wings and a spliced headstock. The production version now has a neck thick maple center with an alder back piece to make up the body depth and alder wings,also with spliced headstock.
One real negative is the newer truss rod (allan bolt) requires a wider rout under the locking nut making the screws very near the inside edge of the rout and in some cases in one it to fresh air (once through the fingerboard) the locking nuts com loose and there is nothing to tighten . I find the very best made Soloists to be the Shanon's and the Japan pro (first ones.) The most highly prized are Originals (pre 85)with factory fitted OFRs and either EMGs or Duncans.

heavypick

What do you want to know? It wasn't an extremely popular model, being a fairly radical departure from Jackson's usual feature set, but a very cool guitar in its own right. I'd love to find a green AT-1T.
Maybe just hear some opinions, etc. By the way, mine has Jackson tuners but I read that they usually come stock with Sperzel locking tuners. Did earlier models not come with them?

The Eristic

Well, it was only made for like two years (they feature only in the '96 and '97 catalogs), and the main changes it underwent were that the body and neck were both slimmed down somewhat. Don't think the tuners would've changed, though the poplar-bodied solid finish models might not have gotten quite the same hardware treatment as the fancier maple/mahogany versions. Got pics?

Trending Topics