Tell me about overdrive and distortion pedals that are not variations on a theme

Grubgoat

I think I read that the Black Arts Toneworks Fnord used some weird induction circuit. That pedal scares me.

zwiefldraader

Depends...
I'd say one of the more popular options that still sound more like one would expect from an OD is the DOD Looking Glass. Pretty natural, almost organic overdriven, boosted sounds

If you like to tweak, and like if it can get nastier and less common sounding, while still retaining playing dynamics and get some classy distortion, the Moog Minifooger Drive is hard to beat. As a blues guy, it was too unpolished for my playing style. But still a great pedal.

Keep eyes open for SviSound pedals. Gorgeous!

THiwaTT

Empress Germ Drive falls in this category - It’s a fuzzy kind of overdrive at higher settings, that reminds me a bit of an old Supro or something

IIRC they use an unusual modern transistor for the gain and the pedal has a unique sound

Coheed

I find the SolidGoldFX Zeta to be utterly unique. The ad-copy suggests that you think of it as an amp-in-a-box style pedal for an amp that doesn't yet exist. It has a raunchy and greasy flavor that sounds unlike anything else I've heard. The response is a bit like a Honey Bee - but the sound is different...much more crisp.

Dammit...love the sound of the demos. Urgh...gas

HBob

Zinky True Grit, Fulltone Catalyst, Fulltone Plimsoul, NVN Dinosaur Fuzz, Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom Fuzz, Vintage Technology Toad Fuzz

xarkon

Zinky True Grit, Fulltone Catalyst, Fulltone Plimsoul, NVN Dinosaur Fuzz, Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom Fuzz, Vintage Technology Toad Fuzz
Have a Catalyst and Plimsoul. I remember thinking the Plimsoul was great but not liking the Catalyst quite as much. Must give them another run.

HBob

Have a Catalyst and Plimsoul. I remember thinking the Plimsoul was great but not liking the Catalyst quite as much. Must give them another run.
I need to dust them both off and try them again. The Catalyst is close to doing something I really want, sparkling, gritty, dynamic drive that kicks in some dirt with picking dynamics. Gonna try again. Dialing back guitar volume with a fuzz face will get me there but... you know how it is. Always looking for THAT tone! It’s a fun chase.

Trending Topics